Thread: Noise/vibration on Legend 24TT

Noise/vibration on Legend 24TT

Looking for some more advice here. My Epilog 24TT occasionally makes a loud noise (possibly due to vibration) when it is in vector mode. The noise occurs when the head is being moved to the manual focus location or when it is in vector mode. Once the head reaches the spot where it is operating in raster mode, everything seems normal.

I've called Epilog and they recommend checking the carriage the head runs on (sorry, I don't know the correct name) to see if it is parallel to the back of the machine. If that's not it, they have some additional ideas to check but those all require that I call while I am at the laser to try things.

If anyone has any ideas on how to troubleshoot this, I'm looking for any inputs I can get.

John
    Epilog Legend 24TT
    3 Wood Lathes (mini, midi and 42" Grizzly)
    7x12 Metal Lathe
    Screwdrivers, Hatchet and one precisely calibrated 10 lb Sledge Hammer

What kind of loud noise? clanking/screeching/banging/grinding/whirr??
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I would call it something like a grinding noise. Definitely not like a normal CNC tool's operating sound. The noise is constant while the carriage is moving but as I said earlier, only in vector mode when things are moving fast. When a raster operation is in progress, the grinding noise occurs when the carriage is moving to it's starting point but then the system performs normally with normal sounds after that.

John
    Epilog Legend 24TT
    3 Wood Lathes (mini, midi and 42" Grizzly)
    7x12 Metal Lathe
    Screwdrivers, Hatchet and one precisely calibrated 10 lb Sledge Hammer

Mine does make a different sound when going home, and vectoring, never thought much about it.. But it doesn't sound like a metal on metal grind of anykind.. Have you ever greased the bearings? You put a little silicone or white grease on the top and bottom of the rail. Work the carriage back and forth to get the grease into the bearings, then wipe off any that may be left on the rails before running.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

If the slide and guide rails has a small play, lead to the grinding sound every time... As the area top left is commonly used mostly, the probability of the play is more. Possible swap of the rail may reduce.
    Linear guide specs say to operate in one side only as the arrow marked over the rails , so they doesnt recommend the swaping. I tried to swap my rails and got success

Regards.
    Saravana kumar
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD