Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: A Great Woodie Build Off

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I thought you had???
    i almost did. i cut two bodies with mortises, mouths and abutments but decided i couldn't live with the results and threw them out. figured i'd have better luck with saw kits and infill planes.no real trouble with a dai on the first try, though. just a little slow at making it.

Trevor, I intend to make a specialized end grain shooter. It shall get a 37 deg. blade angle and it will become hefty although it's a woodie. And it will be a skew bladed one. I've some pictures shot of the very beginning. Need to upload them and will post them later this evening. Klaus
    Last edited by Klaus Kretschmar; 02-24-2012 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Grammar!!!
    Klaus Kretschmar

Pictures!! Now this thread is getting good.

Just so you know that I'm working on something, here is a sketch of an experiment I have in process. A little block plane that I'm prototyping. I'm not sure if it is a success or a failure just yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Pictures!! Now this thread is getting good.

Just so you know that I'm working on something, here is a sketch of an experiment I have in process. A little block plane that I'm prototyping. I'm not sure if it is a success or a failure just yet.
    COOL!!!! Can't wait to see it.

Some pics so far I am. It will get a Krenov type shooter. OK, I know that the Krenov style isn't appreciated that much and I can understand that. A one piece plane is by far harder to make. In my case it needed to be a Krenov plane and you'll see later, why. As mentioned already it shall become a specialized end grain shooter, so the blade angle seems to be right with 37 deg. Since I'm convinced that the end grain shooting works better with a skew bladed plane, it shall get such one.

The body is made of a piece of QS Ash that is that straight grained that it begged to become a plane body.

P1030479k.jpg

The front of the mouth was reinforced by getting a piece of Ebony. Lignum Vitae would have been the better choice but I didn't have it around. Ebony will do the job quite good as well.

P1030481k.jpgP1030486k.jpgP1030487k.jpg

The main problem I saw with a wooden shooter is the lack of weight. You like to have a plane with authority while shooting. A woodie never will give thw same feeling of authority like a metal plane... as long as will not be loaded. Plumb is the winner! I wanted to load the body with plumb to give it the heft, that I was looking for. But I've not the smallest idea if that really will work. It's just an attempt after all. I casted 2 kg plumb (about 4 1/2 lbs) in handy pieces and loaded up the plane body.

P1030497k.jpgP1030498k.jpg

That's the progress so far. I really don't know if all will work like I hope, it's a try after all.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

I'm assuming by plumb, you mean the what we generally call "lead" (the soft metal) here state-side?

You're right, Josh. My translator gave me the English word plumb, you know it as lead.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Klaus, I am sooooooooo excited about your plane build. I've always wondered if one could add metal waits to a wood plane. Slickness of a wood plane, weight advantage of a metal plane - it's like a reverse infill. I think this is the best thread ever!!! Keep posting Klaus!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I think this is the best thread ever!!!
    I have to admit, this thread keeps getting better and better! It's keeping me inspired, I am already planning another plane.

Bob

I'm assuming you don't have a mill but if you did, you can make a one piece sole from steel (this is from black mild steel, probably 1018). The screws attach it to the block of wood that forms the rest of the plane.

Wow I never tough about putting lead in a plane, sounds like a great idea. I did put lead shot in a small hammer, I have a rubber dead blow with lead shot, works great, but my shop build wooded one is still to light. I think your leaded plane is great idea.
    Zander, how about a look at more than the sole.?
    My little block is coming along quite well, should get a pic up tomorrow.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I am finishing up four woodies. Mine are made from old Steve Knight designs. I like Steve's designs better as they are made from two pieces of easier to find 8/4 lumber. Here are two made from 8/4 Purple Heart. Chris these planes do not use any kind of bar or chip breaker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1689105...3005/lightbox/

I think I need to talk to Stu, my problem is the blades I have are short for the bodies, making it difficult to make small enough wedges.

Here is the basic design for a Jointer. The long thin area is for a tote. One simply glues two boards with the following relief together. The black line indicates the area for the wedge, which is a little deeper in the wood.:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1689105...ream/lightbox/

These planes use a thick 1/4, 3/16 single blade with a wooden wedge, no chip breaker, kinda like many Japanese planes.
    way cool. I only used a 19,000 machine to do that design (G) But I did like it as the grain was always oriented well and only two pieces with a great glue joint. No thin sides to expand or contract faster then the body.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Klaus, cool plane can't wait to see to glued up.

Zander, a one piece sole does have it's appeal, and for a bevel down plane that would do, problem here is my miter will be a bevel up plane, so the mouth is very very small. I could form the geometry out of solid with a die simker EDM machine, but I don't have access to one of those or know too much about them to do that yet.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

The plane is glued together already. After removing the clamps it had to go on the balance. I was rather curious about it's weight. Well, it ended up with 3219 grams what's a little more than 7 lbs. For comparison: my #8 is 3672 grams, the LV BUS is 2731 grams. So it really is hefty, maybe a little less would have been more. That can't be judged before it will be used however. For now it's a surprising thing every time I lift it although I know that it's a heavy beast. The eye still doesn't accept that a woody is that heavy.

It has to get some shaping now and a few other things. When I'm done, I'll be happy to post a few pics.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    ...and for a bevel down plane that would do, problem here is my miter will be a bevel up plane, so the mouth is very very small. I could form the geometry out of solid with a die simker EDM machine, but I don't have access to one of those or know too much about them to do that yet.
    An EDM or water jet would be ideal but you still have to cut the ramp. You can cut a bevel up mouth on a mill and it isn't tooo bad; if you don't mind a bit of space behind the iron it is easier (this miter has ~ a 1/16" total slot width and a few thou mouth).