Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: A Great Woodie Build Off

Stu, blue steel 2.2mm blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post
    (Who's got a line on some rather economical, very sweet plane blades that, for some unbeknown reason are not given a second look. Dave, they're 'those' blades...)
    gahh! I saw those about a month after I hand cut and filed an iron out of O1. It took me about 3 hours or so to cut the iron, drill and file the slot, flatten it, harden/temper it and then clean it up.

And I checked to see if you had the tsune irons ready yet when I did that....and then they popped up not more than a month later.

I am on the fence and may yet order one (edit...or did order one just now. so much for self control). I do love blue steel and white steel in chisels and planes.

What a waste of 3 hours.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 02-14-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Takeuchi View Post
    Stu, blue steel 2.2mm blade?

Maybe...

Like I said, I don't want to push them but I do want to get them out there. If it'll provoke folks to build some woody planes in the process, I'm all for that.

Me, I've got O1 steel in various widths I use normally, but even that stuff looks pretty sad when compared to what I can get now. Oh well, I still have the steel and will still be making blades for stuff I'm sure.

Stu.

I'm in. Currently have two in progress. Glued up a 28 inch long blank for a jointer last night and have a smoother blank ready for milling. If it warms a bit this afternoon, I'll go out and cut the cheeks in both. I have a couple 1/4 inch by 2 inch blades of A2 steel ready to go. Just honed two days ago. The first one I did went in the first plane I made out of a piece of cherry I pulled out of the fire wood pile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Already have four wooden planes on hand, including a 1/2" wide Chisel Plane. The other three are types of profile planes, one even uses a FILE to make a profile.SDC11985.jpgSDC11986.jpgSDC11988.jpg Do you mean make MORE of these?

I'll do it. After having made several Krenovian planes I want to incorporate a few improvements (incorporate some Steve Knight elements and get rid of the cross pin and replace it with a traditional wedge), a deadline attached to a project does wonders for me.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 02-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I have to finish reading the thread, but I'm in whole horse.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I'm too busy with other demands to enter this,unless the spirit really moves me. I have things my wife needs done for our business,and another job I need to finish. And,I'm only good for a limited number of hours these days. Then,I can sit down at the computer for a while and post things.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-14-2012 at 1:44 PM.

Good! If George is out then maaaaaaaaaaybe I'm in! Haha. I'd hate to post one of my homemade planes that look like something Merv Warner picked up at a Polish swap meet and have to see one of George's gorgeous works of art right below it! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I'm too busy with other demands to enter this,unless the spirit really moves me. I have things my wife needs done for our business,and another job I need to finish. And,I'm only good for a limited number of hours these days. Then,I can sit down at the computer for a while and post things.
    It's sufficiently stout..

John, I promise to make you look good - join in!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I'll use one of the irons that I made or go with a Lee Valley one.
    And then Stu goes and tosses out a hook baited with blue steel. PM coming Stu.
    Now where do I get info on making a Japanese plane.......
    The Plane Anarchist

Let's see if we can convince those guys at Tsunesaburo to make a couple of those in the ballpark of 3/16ths and 1/4" thick with no slot....anyone? anyone? They would be lovely infill plane single irons, and woodies.

They're using either mild steel or iron as the backing, so it's not like they should be hard to sharpen.

I just checked Stu's web site and now see what he's getting at with the 2.2mm blue steel. If they fit a transitional frog we might have a winner here!
    But Dave you're right 3/16 - 1/4" thick no slot iron could be just what I need..............
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I was thinking I might try a laminate with abutments like this. I think the HNT Gordon planes are made this way too. Out of curiosity why for a single iron plane would this be necessary over a pin? Do abutments support the blade bettter?
    You could do a lot worse than follow Derek and/or Terry. All of the ancient coffin smoothers I have include both the blade and wedge in the abutments, too. I like the way Derek has cut this from the center section of the laminate.

The LV single iron is big, probably very heavy, and needs support to stay in place.

15. I am definitely in. I've been using my homemade smoother-esque plane recently on a top and i had forgot how much I like that plane. I would like either a #6 size plane for flattening table tops or a rabbit plane. Anyone have som pics of either of these 2 sstyles they've made.