Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: A Great Woodie Build Off

In.... 'cause David dared me in another thread.

It will be quite different though....and made of ebony.

Cheers -

Rob
    (who always has something up his sleeve....)

Excellent!

Rob, I bet if you can finish it by the time you make it to Edmonton you could convince some sucker to buy it.

Right when I am getting together the stuff to make my first infill you tempt me to make another woodie! There is no way I can stay away from a tool making epidemic, so count me in!

Bob

Is there an "official" start and/or end date? Against my better judgement I may have to make a little something just because I go nuts working on these bench parts. My brain isn't used to the size of those things. Although I really should finish this bowsaw.

i'm looking through the parts pile, and all I've got for blades that aren't being used is a Stanley SW block plane blade (that never held an edge very well) and a Goodall blade and chipbreaker from an old #7. I might need to order a new blade. Of course, I'll need to add some things to that order to justify paying shipping costs . . .

and down the slope again . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Is there an "official" start and/or end date? .

Ready, Set, Go............May 15, 2012 or there about
    The Plane Anarchist

[QUOTE=Rob Lee;1874519]It will be quite different though....and made of ebony./QUOTE]

Ebony, that will put those new floats to the test!
    The Plane Anarchist

So,WHO is going to judge these planes?

Certainly not me! My original post said no voting, no winners or losers. But if the consensus is that people want to pick the best of the best I can think of nobody better that Mr. George Wilson himself!!!
    The Plane Anarchist

One vote for George judging!

We need to set up categories under which these planes would be judged. Things like functionality or ergonomics,aesthetic appeal, things like that.

Now all of you have something to contribute about judging categories,so we can make a list. We might also designate first,second and third place winners?

Also,the time limit of when these projects must be finished.

I do think that the judge should not submit an entry into this "competition"(is this a competition?)

All of you should submit whether there should be any judging at all,as Leigh's original post mentioned.

Disadvantage of judging: Hurt feelings?

Advantage of judging: It would encourage entrants to think harder about design and functionality, and do their best.(which I think is a good thing).

Any thoughts on these?
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-15-2012 at 10:03 PM.

I'm open for a judged competition if others are. Maybe the categories should be: Style, Craftsmanship, Cut (if it don't cut it don't count!).
    Maybe a member poll? to narrow the field down to say three? (that way George won't be responsible for ticking us all off!). Send the three to George for final evaluation. He can give them the finial Style and Craftsmanship look over, give them the cut test and declare the best of the best! But the international shipping cost might be a killer,
    (If I win beers at my house.)
    The Plane Anarchist

I'm up for contributing towards shipping the winners or some sort of prize, as long as you will ship me a beer if you win Leigh.

Let's just build something we can use, competition might scare off some folks. I really don't care either way, I just need a motivational kick in my behind to find a home for the two blades that have been sitting on a shelf for the last couple years.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi View Post
    Let's just build something we can use, competition might scare off some folks. I really don't care either way, I just need a motivational kick in my behind to find a home for the two blades that have been sitting on a shelf for the last couple years.
    I agree. I think the original spirit of this things was "hey, let's all try this together", and I think that's why so many people got on board. In addition to what Zahid said, competition just complicates things. I think the goal here should be to provide inspiration and a resource for anyone who is considering building there own plane(s). I envision the whatever thread the planes end up in will be placed in the FAQs section. Nothing wrong with a competition, but perhaps it would be better as a separate thing later on down the road.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to end up taking part at the moment anyway, so feel free to ignore my opinion. Life has me with too many irons in the fire at the moment for me put the kind time and effort into doing this thing to do the level of quality I would like. I'll likely wait and just tack a plane onto the thread later on, rather than do it half-a**ed.