Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: A Great Woodie Build Off

Nah, I think David's got it wrong - it's a new Veritas "transitional" hardware kit - like a stanley #26, but with a norris adjuster, set screws to lock in lateral adjustment, and a fully adjustable frog and thick A2 blade. For a small upgrade, available in the same nickel as the NX60 block plane!

just add your own wood!

Quote Originally Posted by david weaver View Post
    the veritas 3d cnc pushbutton hands-free "while - u - wait" plane maker? Late 18th century early 19th century design edition?

Sweet.
    lmsao...
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Actually I would love to see what they came up with. Darned near everything Veritas is Amazing so let them have at it. .

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Hey Rob, just so we're clear. You are not aloud to use Veritas designers to help you with this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Nah, I think David's got it wrong - it's a new Veritas "transitional" hardware kit - like a stanley #26, but with a norris adjuster, set screws to lock in lateral adjustment, and a fully adjustable frog and thick A2 blade. For a small upgrade, available in the same nickel as the NX60 block plane!

just add your own wood!
    I would by this in a heartbeat and make a foreplane and then maybe a 24-30" jointer. (minus the nickel upgrade). Seriously, transitional hardware kits would be an awesome idea.

Ya mean like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Ya mean like this?
    Yes! Exactly like that... Pretty sweet work Leigh!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Ya mean like this?
    Nice! Is that high angle?

and so it begins

Took the first steps today. This is going to be a blend of techniques used by Norse Woodsmith and Derek Cohen. A jack, but with a very tight mouth so that it can double as a longer smoother. Maple and Walnut, I realize Walnut is probably not the best choice but I think we make too much of the hardness of wood used in planes.

IMAG0091.jpg
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

The maple will probably minimize wear on the walnut cheeks. I mentioned walnut as a possible plane wood. But,there are hard examples of walnut,and much harder specimens. I meant the hard ones. I have a bunch of black walnut cut in 1941 that is extremely hard. It is the same age I am. It was cut on the farm across the street from where I used to live. The farmer sawed wood for a hobby. He has some great pieces of wood in his barn!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi View Post
    Took the first steps today. This is going to be a blend of techniques used by Norse Woodsmith and Derek Cohen. A jack, but with a very tight mouth so that it can double as a longer smoother. Maple and Walnut, I realize Walnut is probably not the best choice but I think we make too much of the hardness of wood used in planes.

IMAG0091.jpg
    I made prototype out of pine and it works just fine. probablywon't be used by the next generation though.

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    Nice! Is that high angle?
    Yes, The frog is a regular 45 degree from a Stanley Transitional, I mounted it at 10 degrees to give the 55 degree high angle IIRC.

I use a 1/2" steel cross pin, tap 1/4 x 20 to anchor the frog.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Here's my progress. This is the result of about 5 hours of layout and benchwork yesterday. All hand tools, of course. I split out the body from a larger chunk of walnut that ended up being nearly quartersawn. Very nice wood to work. I'm making a copy of a possibly-18th century plow that is in my collection, although mine is going to be walnut rather than beech and has square arms rather than semi-circular. There will be one other design change... but I'm not quite ready to reveal that yet!

The first pic is the results of the day's work. Having my bench this cluttered drives me nuts!

mess.jpgsmall 1.jpgsmall 2.jpgsmall 3.jpgsmall 4.jpg
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Here's my progress. This is the result of about 5 hours of layout and benchwork yesterday. All hand tools, of course. I split out the body from a larger chunk of walnut that ended up being nearly quartersawn. Very nice wood to work. I'm making a copy of a possibly-18th century plow that is in my collection, although mine is going to be walnut rather than beech and has square arms rather than semi-circular. There will be one other design change... but I'm not quite ready to reveal that yet!

The first pic is the results of the day's work. Having my bench this cluttered drives me nuts!

mess.jpgsmall 1.jpgsmall 2.jpgsmall 3.jpgsmall 4.jpg

Zach, I cannot wait to see the final product. You've got so true grit building a plow for this "event". Very cool! So I take it all the mortising was done with chisels? Can you comment on the process you used for forming the bed?

Chris,

Thanks! I've always wanted to make a plow for myself, and this event gives the kick in the tail to get it done. The arm mortises are 3/4" square and were first drilled out with a 1/2" center bit, working from both sides. This gave a place for the chips to go, making the final cleanup much, much easier. The same process was used for the depth stop mortise and the bed, although I used a long nose auger to drill out for the bed. I'm not done paring the bed perfectly flat yet, but I won't do that until I'm ready to fit the wedge, since the iron will only really contact the bed at the top and then on the skate. Two points of contact and tension from the wedge will make a very nice fit. This is the case on several of the old plows that I have, so I'm copying it.

I hope it turns out!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Thanks for the info Zach. I had been wondering how well one can clear out waste for a plane bed with an auger bit. Good luck and keep posting...