Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: A Great Woodie Build Off

OK, Leigh, need to have the deadline to know if I can jump in. Please give a fix date.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

But,Klaus,how long will it take for your broken wrist to heal?

Hi George,

2 days ago I got rid of the $%§/& cast! Now I'm hoping that the damn hurt will go away! But as I think that will be soon so it will be possible to me to start with woodworking again in about 2 weeks... hopefully!!!

Cheers
    Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

I would love in on this. I really want to make a nice, palm sized carving plane, but I don't know where to start. Could someone recommend a decent tutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I would love in on this. I really want to make a nice, palm sized carving plane, but I don't know where to start. Could someone recommend a decent tutorial?
    Hi John,

there are a few fellows out there that don't need a tutorial at all. You belong to those! I'd say that you could give a tutorial... and probably a very good one!

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Kretschmar View Post
    Hi John,

there are a few fellows out there that don't need a tutorial at all. You belong to those! I'd say that you could give a tutorial... and probably a very good one!

Klaus
    I'm reminded of that scene in the Godfather where Michael Corleone kills Solazzo...

"You think too much of me, kid".

LOL

Start with the blade, all else easily follows.

I'm reminded of that scene in the Godfather where Michael Corleone kills Solazzo...

"You think too much of me, kid".

LOL
    You know that I'm right! What you've published is really impressing. So I KNOW that you are laughing about how to do a wooden plane!

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

You know that I'm right! What you've published is really impressing. So I KNOW that you are laughing about how to do a wooden plane!

Klaus
    That's quite a compliment coming from you, Klaus. Guys like you and George are 10 times the craftsman I will ever be. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

OK, OK....as Jack says, I will just procure a blade and just have at it.

OK, Leigh, need to have the deadline to know if I can jump in. Please give a fix date.

Klaus
    May 15, 2012. 3 months from when people started to get moving. Lots of time to find an open weekend. You might not want to wait too long, incase someone slaps down a challenge to build a dovetail saw!!! ???
    The Plane Anarchist

I'm in Leigh!

Regardless the sawhandles I've to make I'd like to jump in!

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

If everyone can post their updates (if motivated enough, the build steps) and eventually finished products within this thread I will stick this in the FAQs sticky.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 02-20-2012 at 9:37 PM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Is there a prize for the first completed plane? Mine isn't quite done yet, but I suspect it will be done within the week. Here are pics of today's progress. Most of the woodworking is done (just need to mold the fence) then I have to do some metal working (cutting and fitting the skate, riveting the arms to the fence, etc.). Then finishing / polishing and it will be a very nice plane to use.

plow 2.jpgplow 3.jpgplow 4.jpgplow.jpg
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Looks like you are ahead of the pack. You are making you own prize!
    The Plane Anarchist

In an attempt to force me to complete this project on time I'm kicking it off here.

Though I have a bunch of planemaking projects in progress at the moment there is one in particular I'm interested to make, which is a mahogany iron soled mitre plane. Similar to the plane in the photo's I've attached, which comes from one of the online tool auction sites. I have some really old chunks of mahogany that I've wanted to do something plane related with for a while, any idea how to correctly ID the species? The planes will be designed around a 1" snecked iron. I've got to start on the drawings and get cracking on these, I'd like to make at least three.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop