Thread: new test for backhoe certification

new test for backhoe certification

interesting demonstration of backhoe skills for those interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=RobaJKGMMiE>

I've seen this before and can only say this just ain't right. That guy in the cab has some seriuos skills and guts. I want to see the second part where he comes down!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Wow! Very serious skills and nerves for the operator. Also a total lack of common sense. I too would like to see the trip down.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

While the guy is very skilled, watch the video again and pay attention to the "pin" on the side of the "bucket" at minute 4:40....when he gets the bucket in position at the second level. It appears to my eyes that a small pin comes out from the "bucket" into the hole in the bracket of the derrick and thus locks it to the derrick.

After watching it a second time....the top of the "bucket" goes behind a flange on the derrick and the pin at the bottom of the bucket prevents the bucket from releasing from the derrick.

Meanwhile the top of the track is trapped under a bracket and bottom of the track is resting on a bracket so that the track is trapped and held by the weight of the backhoe leaning backwards.

The guys skill is being able to guide this backhoe into those specific places with ease and quickly. Pretty neat.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Pretty cool.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

By the Way, that is an excavator, not a back hoe.

Perry

If you look close, the tracks are not trapped--there is a hydraulic hook (or two) between the tracks that engage a bar on the tower to secure the excavator while the operator moves the arm up to the next position.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I thought this one was more impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Bh-Lh9nqQ

(Rated PG)
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

No knock on Liebherr, they make fine equipment, but that is a special built machine just for this stunt. I'm sure the counterweight is just heavy enough so it will not tip forward, the cab and engine compartment is shorter than normal, the cylinders are on the bottom not the top of the boom, etc. In other words, as light and short as possible. Cost millions to do this but is a great marketing effort.

Perry