Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ClearVue Owners. Got some questions.

And titanium is stronger than steel. What of it? The question isn't which is stronger. The question is whether or not the MDF and "plastic" in strong enough and appropriate in this specific application, and all the evidence seems to indicate the answer is "yes". The sour grapes is implying that it is an inferior product with absolutely no evidence at all to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    And titanium is stronger than steel. What of it? The question isn't which is stronger. The question is whether or not the MDF and "plastic" in strong enough and appropriate in this specific application, and all the evidence seems to indicate the answer is "yes". The sour grapes is implying that it is an inferior product with absolutely no evidence at all to back it up.
    Not an inferior product - inferior materials. How long have CV mdf housings been around? According to the website - about 8 years - maybe they'll last forever - maybe they won't. Steel has been around in pressure blowers for longer than that - by a lot.

How often do you use MDF in your woodworking? Just curious.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maddox View Post
    Not an inferior product - inferior materials. How long have CV mdf housings been around? According to the website - about 8 years - maybe they'll last forever - maybe they won't. Steel has been around in pressure blowers for longer than that - by a lot.

How often do you use MDF in your woodworking? Just curious.

Phil
    It's my product of choice when I need a template or a jig. I don't make guitars out of MDF, if that's what you're asking, but it gets used quite a bit.

Okay, let's be clear about the path of the airflow. After the cyclone, which is all of the MDF in question, there will only be relatively clean air...only the dust that didn't drop will be in that airstream. After that, all of that air dumps into paper filters. On some units the clean out is just a plastic bag. If paper and plastic bags can survive the onslaught, MDF can too. It's a non issue.

If the motor or the cyclone is heavier, sure weight might be an issue....but it's not heavier so it's not an issue. Incidentally, mine lifts up the trash can when I turn it on, even if it's full of saw dust....and it's HEAVY when it's full of saw dust. That mount can take quite a bit of weight, so I doubt a few extra lbs here and there would make a difference on the mount. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know why they rejected the motor just because of weight.

Blog Entries
    Considering that current owners seem to have nothing but praise for the Clearvue product and the company, it's difficult to attribute any criticism about construction and durability by non-owners to anything but sour grapes. If anyone knows of any real failures or problems, I'm sure we'd all like to know, especially owners like me, but they're either not happening or no one is reporting them.
    I have one of the earliest models and did have some trouble with the MDF splitting. I did not finish the MDF so I'm sure moisture was a factor. I replaced it with some (finished) Appleply and have had no problems since that time. The PETG material shows zero sign of wear. Note that sealing up all the joints (part of the install process) is time consuming and you could make a cost argument if you factor in time. Remember, when CV started up there were no Dust Gorilla options... there were only poorly designed cyclones and commercial Oneida equipment.

Okay, let's be clear about the path of the airflow. After the cyclone, which is all of the MDF in question, there will only be relatively clean air...only the dust that didn't drop will be in that airstream. After that, all of that air dumps into paper filters. On some units the clean out is just a plastic bag. If paper and plastic bags can survive the onslaught, MDF can too. It's a non issue.

If the motor or the cyclone is heavier, sure weight might be an issue....but it's not heavier so it's not an issue. Incidentally, mine lifts up the trash can when I turn it on, even if it's full of saw dust....and it's HEAVY when it's full of saw dust. That mount can take quite a bit of weight, so I doubt a few extra lbs here and there would make a difference on the mount. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know why they rejected the motor just because of weight.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the airflow. Did someone indicate that the MDF would be worn away by the airflow? I could see the plastic cone being worn away because it sees the un-separated dust and air and that may be abrasive enough over time to wear away at the inside but I doubt that the cleaner air would do this to the mdf, especially since it is 3/4" thick.

The weight is an issue as evidenced by CV stopping sales of the newer, heavier motors until they come up with a solution. This is what a good company should do and I applaud them for it.

It seems that everyone (except for Greg,who had an MDF blower housing failure) is intent on making the point that MDF is "good enough". I'm not sure that is true or not but I have not heard of a significant number of failures in the relatively short time it has been used for this purpose so it stands to reason that is may be adequate for the task. The real point, and the only point I tried to make is that I (me, no one else) think that steel is more durable than MDF and plastic. I would think, although I don't know this for sure, that most would agree with this statement.

I'd like to see a steel blower from CV that can be used with all motors, regardless of weight. I think that would be a HUGE advantage to those who don't care for the DIY nature of the CV. It won't matter to me because I have what I hope will be the last DC I will ever need.

Phil