Thread: Something to put half-clean clothes in

Post Something to put half-clean clothes in

My wife and I have the questionable habit of putting half-clean clothes (trousers / sweaters that have just been worn once or twice after washing) in random places in the bedroom, so it gets messy real fast.

I thought of building a small cabinet with hangers, but it would have a couple of problems: with closed doors, I think I'd forget about which clothes are in there (so I'd go to the closet for a clean sweater when a perfectly serviceable one is still in the cabinet); also, with the humidity here, those clothes would start to smell way faster than the *cough* naturally ventilated ones that are left strewn about the bedroom.

I told my wife about having a plain hanger in view, but she doesn't want the cluttered view of clothes there.

So I'm turning to the design forum - does any one know of a traditional furniture form for this kind of problem? Am I overthinking it? Wouldn't be the first time

This is funny. I tend to throw my "still serviceable" garments across the edge of the mostly unused bathtub (we're not pigs - we take showers!).

This is a problem. I have one hook in the closet where I will hang pants, or a shirt, or sometimes both... but perhaps I just need more hooks?

I think hooks were invented for this problem.

When our exercise bike was in the bedroom, that's where the clothes tended to accumulate. I now have a metal T-shaped stand that's used in department stores to hang purses, bags, etc. in the room and my wife uses that for her un-closeted clothes. At least with that you could use hangars so it would look organized and not too unsightly.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

My wife would never allow any clothing item in the bedroom no matter how it is stored, we have a couple of doors in our walk in closet so we have his/her hooks behind each. We use those for hanging once used clothing. In my case I will wear a t-shirt or shirt 2-3 times (in winter only, in summers everything gets worn only once) and will not break out a new shirt until the previous one is ready to hit the laundry. I am also one of the fortunate ones to have a home based job, so most days are spent in jammies ;-) I'd say go for hooks behind doors for a quick fix. Wait for more elaborate solutions if this does not work.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I have forgotten the exact terminology of the clothing matrix. It went something like: Clean, clean dirty, dirty and dirty dirty. Will you need a place for each??
    P.S. My wife just said that's what the exercise machine is for....it works for us.

I have a tread mill you can have, it has good heavy bars on 3 sides. It holds about 2 weeks worth of cloths. we throw our dirty cloths on the tread and on laundry day just turn it on for a second and all the laundry shoots into the basket at the end of the mill. Works like a dream. We're thinking of getting an other for whites but my wife wants them to match so this ones going. I think they make them with air fresheners built in now so they dont get musty.

7. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

Seems to me that you need to do some research on a "Valet" -- not the kind that parks your car, but the piece of furniture that is in a "gentleman's" dressing room. It has a permanently placed hanger to put your jacket, a place for a pair of trousers, and so on. The larger ones have a seat that you can sit on while putting on your socks, and maybe even some small storage under the seat to hide your clothes brush. My olate father in law had one, and got tremendous use from it.

http://www.onewayfurniture.com/butle...ad=10595609778

(I have no affiliation with that website -- it was one of the first to appear in a google search of "gentleman's valet".)

Thanks to everyone - looks like a valet or a chair is what we will use. My wife doesn't like the idea of hangers behind the closet doors - doesn't like mixing clean clothes and not-really-clean ones.

(Maybe this is a good excuse to learn to make chairs...)

I have a short (approx. 3') length of shaker pegboard with pegs at roughly 8" spacing on one wall of my bedroom where I hang clothes I plan to wear again.