Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Delta 18-900L -- Any reason not to?

Delta 18-900L -- Any reason not to?

I just sold my OWWM drill press because I want something a little larger and something that has a table raising mechanism. Craigslist has been devoid of any OWWM drill presses even meeting most of my criteria for the past couple months and I'm going to end up buying new. I've all but decided on the Delta 18-900L--any reason not to?

My plan B is the Steel City model which my preferred source also has in stock. Its a little more basic, but a little over half the price. Haven't read anything bad about the DP, only the company and to be honest some of the same things have been said of the current incarnation of Delta.

Not really considering the PM2800 based on reviews--unless quality has improved?

I was sold on the Delta just on the reports and still am after buying one. Solid machine, plenty of power, and the travel length is great! If you are really stubborn ... and have a shop crane, you can actually assemble it by yourself <g>.

Blog Entries
    I got a Delta 18-900L back in November 2011. Works absolutly perfect. Run out on mine is < 0.005 through out the quil travel. What sold me is the 6" quil travel along with the upper and lower stops. This combination allows me to drill various thickness of stock without having to adjust the table height very often. Both the upper and lower stops have a quick action and a micro adjust.
    I'm glad I spent the extra $$$ and got the Delta 18"

All the Best
    Curt
    Last edited by Curtis Myers; 02-16-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Once you get past the price, its all good.
    Had mine since Thanksgiving with no problems.
    I did need help getting the head unit on the post, its heavy and awkward.

Steve

Matt,
    I purchased the Steel City DP about 5 years ago when they first came out. It was a great drill press for the money at the time. I think they have gone up considerbly since then. I never had an issue with it. If I was in the market today I would give the Delta a hard look. It gets great reviews. I think both Steel City and Delta are questionable as companies as far as parts availabilty but for different reasons. I think Delta has a slightly better future. I wouldn't even look at the PM due to all of the negative reviews.

Got a shop crane so that will be good. I'll actually use it for once--haven't had a need since I got it, of course.

Matt, I purchased one about 6 months ago from Tools Plus ( best price I found ) and Delta currently has a $100.00 rebate on them as well if you didn’t know. I give it all positive marks and would buy it again. If you can’t find one locally to look at I am in Saginaw and you are more than well come to come try it out and see if you like it.
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Amazon's price is better than Tools Plus. But I'm going to buy from Woodwerks since I'll going by there one day next week.

Only had my 18-900L a couple weeks so consider that with my opinion
    Rock solid. Quiet. Smooth. Ribbed belts & spring-loaded idler = very fast & easy speed changes. No runout. Good chuck. I thought the laser would be a joke but I love it. Replaceable insert is a great idea & thoughtful of Delta to make it 3/4" deep (adjustable). Table height adjustment very easy to operate & can be done from the front (my DP at work requires a walk behind). The table can flip completely over. Spin it 90deg & rotate it on the column & you can clamp a workpiece to it & drill into the endgrain of a long-ish rail. Handy for drilling dowel holes or a mortise.

Minor negatives: T-slots are handy for attaching home-made fences but the DP should include a couple T-nuts since they are a non-standard size & not available from Delta. LED gooseneck light often turns on by itself when the drill is turned on (sensitive to the surge I guess).

I see they are up to $799.00 now I am glad I got the sale price on mine $675.00 with the Biesemeyer Fence included.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

That's after rebate!

It's probably the only new DP under $1000 I would consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    That's after rebate!
    Correct $799.00 after the $100.00 rebate
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

This is what you do:

Buy Delta 18-900L
    Buy 3ph 1hp motor to fit
    Buy Hitachi VFD
    Buy Lee Valley or similar table
    Buy high precision keyless chuck
    Buy $10 Chinese non-contact tach to set up your speed table for the VFD

Now for ~$1250 you have the best new DP you can buy for the money, all the bells and whistles that the PM has with the heavier build of the Delta. Thats my plan anyway.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Who bought the Biesemeyer fence? Made your own for the stock table? Using an aftermarket table like the Woodpecker I already have?

The VFD would be sweet but maybe down the road.