Thread: Leigh FMT Pro dust collection...

Leigh FMT Pro dust collection...

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has modified their Leigh FMT Pro to improve the dust collection port on the back? Hooking it up to the shopvac just doesn't do the job, I'm thinking that if it had a 4" port, that would improve it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff:

I use a ~1-3/8 / 35 mm ID hose to a Fein vacuum and find it works OK. I do try to keep the hose alignment with minimal loops to reduce head (friction) loss.

Jeff,
    I was planning on posting the same question. I just got through a ton of M&Ts on my FMT Pro and I find the dust collection port extremely lacking. Depending on the wood being used, shavings and dust seem to go everywhere but in the dust port. I hook mine up to a Ridgid 16 gal, 6.5hp shop vac and I'd say it collects about half the shavings. Been trying to come up with an unobtrusive way to wrap the front of the jig to channel the shavings into the port and not on myself and all over the floor and bench. Any suggestions from other users would be appreciated.
    As for a 4" port, it would be nice. Even a 2-1/4" shop vac port would have been better than the 1 or 1-1/4" port they have on the back. Unfortunately, that is machined into the body of the jig; no way of changing that opening. I think that some type of removable enclosure, covering the front of the jig might be the way to go.
    Seems to me that often dust collection is an afterthought in many tools and jigs, not part of the design process.

I wrestled with this problem when I first got my FMT jig (now called FMT Pro) and discussed this issue with Leigh tech support. They said that the reason why they went with the small dust port on the back was that a larger port would interfere with the tilting plate that gives the ability to make angled tenons and mortises. At the time I was cutting 1/2" tenons 1 1/4" long and the long chips were bridging and clogging the small dust port. My solution was to make these tenons at two depth settings. This made the chips shorter and solved my clogging problem. The tenons cut almost as fast because I was able to make each pass faster than when trying to do it in just one pass.

I haven't come up with a good way to collect chips from the front side, but if the port remains unclogged, most of the chips are removed by this rear vacuum port. I hung a piece of 1/8" lexan across the front of the FMT from the front edge of the top plate by using some velcro strips and it has helped to keep the chips from collecting on the front of me, but it hasn't done much to keep them off the floor.

Charley

A quick look suggests that it's the sort of situation that needs plenty of air speed around the cutter, and that even then (e.g. on the outside of larger tenons) it'll probably miss some chips. Upping the port size sounds advisable, but depending on how restrictive the flow through under the top is it could well need a decent level of pressure drop/suction to perform as from a fairly large impeller diameter. Not too sure if it might be possible to organise some sort of surround/hood - chances are it'd get in the way..

ian

A good discussion, I did send a email to Leigh, and they replied that "it's with R&D". So hopefully they'll come up with something as clever as the FMT itself. I like the idea of the lexan shield under the table, at least it will keep the chips out of my sleeves. It almost seems like the port needs to be adjustable or flexible to accommodate the tilting plate. However, even a larger port might not help with capturing the chips from the front/outer side when making a tenon. Does anyone use a router dust collection for above the table?

Jeff

Jeff, I've had an FMT since before they called my model "Pro" and I've never been satisfied with the rear dust collection alone. I gave up on the idea of any amount of suction from that port being able to get all the cuttings since some portion are projected to the front forcefully during operation. I bought a 12" x 12" router hood at a woodworking show (probably about $20) and built a floor-mounted fixture for it to position it at any useful angle in front of the FMT. This one has a 4" port and I connect it directly to a 650cfm dust collector hose. Combined with the 2-1/4" hose from my 20gal. ShopVac on the rear port I can collect very nearly all of the dust. It is possible to position this thing in front of the FMT to be able to effectively manipulate the router and still get the dust. A desirable side benefit is that it also works with my Leigh jigs for dovetails and finger joints too. I don't own anything that collects dust directly at the router base but I suppose that might be another option as well. Hope this gives you some ideas.
    "You're never a complete failure - you can always be used as a bad example."

I added a 4" port to mine and it works like a champ! I covered the entire back, using plywood, attached it with caulk, then added a 4" port. I just clamp it to my bench and hook it up to my cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Rodriquez View Post
    I added a 4" port to mine and it works like a champ! I covered the entire back, using plywood, attached it with caulk, then added a 4" port. I just clamp it to my bench and hook it up to my cyclone.
    Sounds interesting, could you post a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Saunders View Post
    Jeff, I've had an FMT since before they called my model "Pro" and I've never been satisfied with the rear dust collection alone. I gave up on the idea of any amount of suction from that port being able to get all the cuttings since some portion are projected to the front forcefully during operation. I bought a 12" x 12" router hood at a woodworking show (probably about $20) and built a floor-mounted fixture for it to position it at any useful angle in front of the FMT. This one has a 4" port and I connect it directly to a 650cfm dust collector hose. Combined with the 2-1/4" hose from my 20gal. ShopVac on the rear port I can collect very nearly all of the dust. It is possible to position this thing in front of the FMT to be able to effectively manipulate the router and still get the dust. A desirable side benefit is that it also works with my Leigh jigs for dovetails and finger joints too. I don't own anything that collects dust directly at the router base but I suppose that might be another option as well. Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Thanks Charles, I'm afraid I don't know what a router hood looks like, can you post a pic of your setup or a link to a hood?

Wonder if something like the silicone port that fits around the spindle here http://www.keen-products.com/routertables.htm would fit, or do a decent job? Probably added to the stock arrangement running a larger port. It'd probably be better with a larger port too - provided your dust system has enough CFM...

ian

Sure. Mine is similar to this one: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312&rrt=1

I think any of the ones posted here would work OK. I thought a fairly broad collection device would be best since the chips seem to go all directions.
    "You're never a complete failure - you can always be used as a bad example."

I like the idea of the silicone port, flexible enough to allow the plate to tilt? Lots of good ideas...