Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Delta 18-900L -- Any reason not to?

I have mine on a double layer of 3/4" plywood and an HTC3000 base (the 3000 doesn't "jump and thump" when you put it on/off wheels like the 2000 does, I wouldn't use a 2000 with this ) I didn't really countersink much, just enough not to worry about clearance.

I did seriously look at the Grainger store brand (Dayton) 17" (5PHC3) and 20" (5PHC4) and Optimum 16" (B28H aka grainger 5TPP7) floor presses (actually make a comparative matrix of about 30 dp's when I got the 18-900) but there are none local so I couldn't touch it and see how the fit and finish were. The Optimum looked like a premium press, but lots more $$. If you can stop and see them, I'd be interested in hearing what you think anyway, even though I'm no longer in the market

What I really wanted was an Ellis 9400, but couldn't justify it in any way shape or form and the top end speed was a bit low for small bits (its primarily a metal DP and weighs 675lbs!).

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Matt, giving your ability to fabricate you should be looking for a Bridgeport instead.
    Speaking of his fabrication skills, if I were Mike and wanted a mobile base I might build one and use machine leveling casters. But in general I don't like them for DPs.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burnette View Post
    Minor negatives: LED gooseneck light often turns on by itself when the drill is turned on (sensitive to the surge I guess).
    My light turns on like that, as well. Not that I can see this would ever be a problem.

I love mine, and would buy the same again. I've had it about 6 months.

The belt changes are easy. The table is easy to use. The quill travel is the best on the market for similar machines. The depth stop is something I use all the time, and it's solid and works well.

If you have a Woodcraft nearby, you might check with them. I was in the one here last night, and they will be having a 10% off all powertools (with certain exceptions) sale on March 2 and 3. That should be on top of the $100 rebate. Expiring March 1 is an offer for a free fence with purchase.

I built my own fence using 3/4" MDF and a pair of Magswitch large mounts. It sticks just fine to the steel table. Did I say I love this machine?

I have had my delta drill press since Oct. great piece of machinery.

I noticed on Rockler.com that all Delta drill presses are out of stock and it says new models are expected in March. That could be a reason to rush out and get proven models while you still can or hold off and see if what comes next is good.

Well...just bought one. I remembered one more local dealer that I've never really dealt with but know others who have. They just got one in stock yesterday. Now they are out of stock again. Picking it up this afternoon or in the morning.

Best part--I just payed $879.79 after sales tax for it, so $779.79 after I get the rebate.

Now to finalize my decision on a fence. Easiest would be just ordering the Delta/Biesemeyer. The only thing holding me back is that I'd like a second flip stop but the fence doesn't even show up in Delta's parts search. Plus I've had a tall homemade fence in the past that occasionally got in the way. I'm also thinking about just buying components from Kreg and making something similar. Their miter gauge fence and a couple of the flip stops they include with the beaded face frame system coupled with a piece of aluminum angle from the hardware store would be almost identical to the Biesemeyer but with available parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Now to finalize my decision on a fence. Easiest would be just ordering the Delta/Biesemeyer. The only thing holding me back is that I'd like a second flip stop but the fence doesn't even show up in Delta's parts search. Plus I've had a tall homemade fence in the past that occasionally got in the way. I'm also thinking about just buying components from Kreg and making something similar. Their miter gauge fence and a couple of the flip stops they include with the beaded face frame system coupled with a piece of aluminum angle from the hardware store would be almost identical to the Biesemeyer but with available parts.
    Not much to the stops on the Delta/Biesemeyer fence, be easy to make additional ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Who bought the Biesemeyer fence? Made your own for the stock table? Using an aftermarket table like the Woodpecker I already have?
    Picked up 18-900L today @ the Hartville sale. $750 after rebate for the DP, $55 for the B-fence ( back ordered) Stocked up on Freud & DeWalt blades.
    A micro gloat perhaps, but I`m happy

Got mine home today too but it's still in my truck for the night. Tomorrow after I help my daughter with her science fair project I'll work on getting it set up. I also picked up some materials for a mobile base for it but that will come later because first I need to weld up a stand for my daughters lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by david paul miller View Post
    I found it easy to assemble by my self by installing the head to the horizon column, then lifting
    Plus 1 Seems like the path of least resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Matt, giving your ability to fabricate you should be looking for a Bridgeport instead.
    I don't need a mill--a friend of mine bought my dad's so I have access to it over there if I need it. I am inheriting my dad's metal lathe (well, technically my brother is but I'm going to keep it here, possibly forever since my brother doesn't have room) but need to figure out space issues before it moves over here.

Well I have discovered one "down side" to the Delta. It's long 6"+ travel is great...if you have drill bits over 6" long <g>. Think I need to shop for some longer brad points.

Jerome, that qualifies as a first world problem...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I got mine all set up today. Pretty nice. It's quiet and virtually vibration free. I didn't note any fit and finish problems. The belt change is really slick. Mine has about .001" runout using a 1/2" pin that came with my router.

I took Van's advise and ordered a nice precision keyless chuck and arbor--1/2" since it goes down to 1/32 instead of 1/8 like the 5/8 and I don't really need the big end capacity.

I also ordered the Biesemeyer fence option just now. Someday I might build a table for it similar to the Woodpecker table I had before but big enough to take advantage of this machine's capabilities.

I also decided against building a mobile base for it--the recommended platform is just huge! Bigger than my jointer/ planer in fact.