Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Fraud Question

Credit Card Fraud Question

Checked my checking account this a.m. and much to my surprise I purchased $2209.85 worth of fishing gear at Fish USA through their website. Wow, I must have been sleep shopping again. I really like to fish but . . . hmmm . . . that's a little high for my hobby budget. Called the bank and filed a claim for fraud, then shredded the card. Then I called Fish USA and spoke with customer service. I explained the situation and asked if they could provide any further information on the order. Within five minutes someone called me back with the name of the person who placed the order, and the ship to address. I was able to get the order cancelled. Yay, me! I also shared the info with my bank's fraud department. I would like to have had the items purchased though, 3 Shimano $700 reels.

Here's what I can't figure out . . . how did this person get my account number, etc? The person used my debit card info. I always use that card as a credit card so I don't have to enter the PIN number. The only thing I have changed recently is using the ATM for deposits but I always cover the keypad. Are there people out there with RFID scanners snatching my card info from my purse as they walk by? Since I have information regarding who placed the order can I file a police report? Would anything happen if I did?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda two possibilities with the info you gave well really three.
    1. Bank was hacked and they have not figured out the amount of files taken this has happened to me 3 times with B of A but they say that nothing was taken but they issued a new card each time for safety.
    2. the ATM you used had a scanner on it to capture your info.
    3. Does your card offer the no scan just wave your card in front of the scanner option? If so then that is the most likely way they got your info as they do have portable readers. I have no credit cards that can be just waved in front of the scanner for that reason. I have heard there are small sleeves you can keep the card in that is suppose to prevent this.

Good Luck
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Ever hand the card to someone at a store or restaurant? That's the most common way. There's a small device that will grab the electronic data off the strip. Or someone might have even just written it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    Belinda two possibilities with the info you gave well really three.
    1. Bank was hacked and they have not figured out the amount of files taken this has happened to me 3 times with B of A but they say that nothing was taken but they issued a new card each time for safety.
    2. the ATM you used had a scanner on it to capture your info.
    3. Does your card offer the no scan just wave your card in front of the scanner option? If so then that is the most likely way they got your info as they do have portable readers. I have no credit cards that can be just waved in front of the scanner for that reason. I have heard there are small sleeves you can keep the card in that is suppose to prevent this.

Good Luck
    If the bank has been hacked they don't seem to know it. That happened to our business account at Suntrust a few years ago. I don't have a no scan card. I'll contact the bank about checking their ATM. I have RFID proof sleeves for my card, but I don't always remember to stick it back in the sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Ever hand the card to someone at a store or restaurant? That's the most common way. There's a small device that will grab the electronic data off the strip. Or someone might have even just written it down.
    I haven't used my card in a store or restaurant recently that it wasn't in my sight or hand at all times.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Just a point - this is exactly the reason to have a REAL credit card, NOT a debit card. Credit cards are regulated entirely differently than debit cards, and consumer protections are MUCH stronger with credit accounts.

I had something similar happen but they were too greedy. They exceeded the daily limit -- by a lot -- and the transaction got flagged. I think I was not the only one when the bank officer made a call and said something to the effect of "I got another one of those cards". I assume from that the bank had a problem. I'm sure they don't tell the world if they can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Just a point - this is exactly the reason to have a REAL credit card, NOT a debit card. Credit cards are regulated entirely differently than debit cards, and consumer protections are MUCH stronger with credit accounts.
    Yep, I agree. The only thing I use my debit card for is the ATM. Even if you use your debit card as a credit card, you're exposing it which can lead to getting it compromised. Much better to have a card that's a credit card only. If a credit card gets compromised, the max you can be charged is $50 and card companies never seem to charge customers that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Of all my card use the only one that has ever been hacked was the one that was sent with an RFID chip in it (although I always ask for them without). A new card was sent and I was assured it would not have the RFID in it; it did. They got it right the second time. I actually thought that the use of these had fallen by the wayside as one of the stupidest ideas ever. You can ask for cards with out them and cards with them are supposed to display the little radio wave icon )))) You used to be able to see the chip or the bump but, the technology has them visually undetectable in many cases now. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I know nothing about RFID, but my card doesn't have the icon or a bump so I guess it doesn't have a chip.

My bank has been great about this. They're covering some auto drafts that I have coming out until everything gets settled. Fish USA has been a tremendous help as well. I called them back and they were able to give me a phone number and e-mail address for the person who placed the order. Phone number is a landline in Naples, FL, ship to address is in New York. I'm going to file a police report after work.

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Of all my card use the only one that has ever been hacked was the one that was sent with an RFID chip in it (although I always ask for them without). A new card was sent and I was assured it would not have the RFID in it; it did. They got it right the second time. I actually thought that the use of these had fallen by the wayside as one of the stupidest ideas ever. You can ask for cards with out them and cards with them are supposed to display the little radio wave icon )))) You used to be able to see the chip or the bump but, the technology has them visually undetectable in many cases now. YMMV.
    I remember studying the technology used in the chip cards (although I don't remember a lot about it any more) and there were some pretty sophisticated techniques used to protect the cards. That technology has been in use in Europe for years (maybe 20 years or so) and they're not getting hacked. In fact, the reason for adding the chips is that the magnetic stripe data is sooo easy to copy. The chips actually improve the security of the card.

Just a bit of history: The US always had a very good communications network so it was easy to keep the authorization data in a central location and query the data base when the card was used. In Europe, there were border problems and laws that restricted what data could be kept and the communication of certain data. So they developed the card chips. The chip is self authenticating - you don't need to go back to a central data base.

It's actually a very good, reliable system. Essentially all credit cards in Europe use chips. If you travel to Europe, you may have problems using your card in certain locations if it doesn't have a chip. The problem with implementing it in the US is that most card terminals don't support the chip technology - only the mag card swipe. But the credit card companies are pushing it to reduce their fraud losses.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-15-2012 at 5:12 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If a credit card gets compromised, the max you can be charged is $50 and card companies never seem to charge customers that.
    Actually, that's only true if you loose the physical card (and as you said, they won't actually make you pay the fee...). If the account was compromised but you are still in physical possession of the card, you have ZERO liability.

Maybe I'm apathetic, but I wouldn't bother filing a police report, calling the store, tracking down the thief, or anything. If it were on my credit card, I'd just tell the CC company and forget it. Their problem, not mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Maybe I'm apathetic, but I wouldn't bother filing a police report, calling the store, tracking down the thief, or anything. If it were on my credit card, I'd just tell the CC company and forget it. Their problem, not mine...
    Maybe I'm just proactive, I called the store and stopped shipment because I don't want the thief to get the order. By filing the police report there is a slight chance that someone might give a dang and the guy might get caught, thereby saving someone else the trouble of having to go through all of this. It really ticks me off when someone steals from me.

Bella Terra

Gee I got a whole bunch of spy equipment from Texas, and even had football tickets to a game in Spain..All ordered from someone in Montreal. I made purchase from a Amazon.com affiliate in Montreal, I guess someone a the store in P.Q. liked the look of my mastercard.. I just filed a police report, and faxed it to the card issuer, and they sent me a new card..
    I doubt very much if anything went beyond that..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Yep, I just had this happen to me. Two nights ago, my credit card went shopping in NYC, wow, did it have a good time, it went to Macy's, Carmine's (adult store) out to dinner, various gas stations and to a show, all while using itself to pay for cab rides to all these places. It obvisouly didn't care that it was spending about 4000.00 of my money. I didn't even notice until my wife called from work and wanted to know how I managed to slip off to NYC and go shopping while we were having dinner at my sister's house, she had checked my acct, I don't check it daily. Called the bank and explained I had never ever even been to NYC. Turns out that a few days before this I had stopped at a mom n pop gas station and used the ATM, which I don't normally do, but needed some quick cash. The bank suggested that I only use my pin number at an actual bank or bank ATM at a bank, not even at Walmart, only use as credit. Lesson learned. I did get all my money back in about four days. Of course after confronting the store owner, he had no clue what I was talking about. Oh and BTW, they had my PIN number, so the charges were not flagging the bank, these were all ATM charges.
    Last edited by greg lindsey; 02-15-2012 at 8:00 PM.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

according to the news report, the device that captured your number when you use ATM machines are attach to the ATM machine with double-sided tape, is the ATM machine built so that a copy machine device could be conceal from your sight, WHY DON'T YOU GIVE THE ATM a rub down to make sure that something are up to no good