Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Fraud Question

I've had one Visa card (info) that's been stolen twice now. The first was known to be from a website being hacked that I'd ordered from previously. The second, I have no idea. I got a call from the card issuers fraud dept., asking about a charge. Funny enough, they declined two attempted charges the day before (they didn't notify me), then allowed this charge and called me to see if it was really me.

My wife had a card number stolen that wasn't even supposed to be valid. After we were married and she changed her name, had new cards issued, a charge showed up on the bank account. The number ussed was the old card number that wasn't even supposed to be good anymore.....

In all cases everything was reversed, but it's still a hassle. I've gotten so that I don't use a debit card for ordering stuff online anymore, and am very selective about restaurants, etc., only using it if it doesn't leave my sight.

THE POLICE caught 2 men with the devices to copy your P I N numbers and that it would be mounted to the front of the ATM ,I believe that the information are transmit to a receiver close-by

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    So they developed the card chips. The chip is self authenticating - you don't need to go back to a central data base.
    Mike
    The feature you're referring to is offline transaction processing. In Europe, the same card can do online and offline. In the U.S., we're pretty much all online. There was a time when small transactions (under $20) could be done offline in the U.S.(no authorization required), but I think that stopped about 15 years ago.

Nonetheless, I think for larger transactions, online is pretty much required.

I suppose it doesn't matter as much now, but there was a time when offline was a real advantage. Think of a street meat vendor in NY, or going to a selling trade show (where they sell items off the floor). Terminals didn't need any sort of connection to the processor, they'd just store the data and upload it later.

Now w/ cellular, we can always have a connection to the processor.

I wonder if it would be better to file a report with the post office since you have a ship to address???????

Myself, I would just let the card company handle it unless it became a bigger problem.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I wonder if it would be better to file a report with the post office since you have a ship to address???????

Myself, I would just let the card company handle it unless it became a bigger problem.
    Unless the postal system was actually used in commision of fraud, I don't think they will get involved.

Also, kudos to Belinda for reacting quickly and putting a stop to that shipment. At least the scumbags won't profit from from this one.
    Last edited by Kevin W Johnson; 02-16-2012 at 1:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I remember studying the technology used in the chip cards (although I don't remember a lot about it any more) and there were some pretty sophisticated techniques used to protect the cards. That technology has been in use in Europe for years (maybe 20 years or so) and they're not getting hacked. In fact, the reason for adding the chips is that the magnetic stripe data is sooo easy to copy. The chips actually improve the security of the card.
    Sorry, Mike, but the techniques used on the European chips was so weak, they were hacked almost immediately. From what I can tell, the EU community has been up in arms for quite a number of years trying to get them to "fix" the system that's supposedly so secure, but actually makes it easier for hackers to make transactions without leaving a trail. Stay away from anything that uses PIN-on-chip technologies, it's simply not nearly as secure as they'll lead you to believe, and that causes a false sense of security.

I also don't use debit cards at all, even at the ATM... I immediately cut them up if the bank issues me one. Any card that gives someone direct access to my bank account (as a debit card does) is a no-no. I went several rounds with BoA after they charged me a yearly fee for an ATM/debit card. I asked why should I pay for a piece of plastic that significantly lowers the security on my account and therefore will never use? I eventually closed all of my BoA accounts, including my business account.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    according to the news report, the device that captured your number when you use ATM machines are attach to the ATM machine with double-sided tape, is the ATM machine built so that a copy machine device could be conceal from your sight, WHY DON'T YOU GIVE THE ATM a rub down to make sure that something are up to no good
    Ray, I called the branch manager yesterday afternoon. The capture equipment you mentioned is called a "skimmer". The branch manager checks the ATM every morning for any type of monitoring device.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Unless the postal system was actually used in commision of fraud, I don't think they will get involved.

Also, kudos to Belinda for reacting quickly and putting a stop to that shipment. At least the scumbags won't profit from from this one.
    Kevin, several years ago our company card was compromised when there was a large scale hack of SunTrust. One of the charges was around $1700 to Dell. I called Dell and explained the situation and got that order cancelled. It just infuriates me when someone trys to take my money so I do everything I can to keep them from getting free merchandise.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

When I filed the police report yesterday the officer jokingly asked me if I had ever considered becoming an investigator. She lives in my condo complex but we had never met. I am very pleased about this considering that my next door neighbor is psycho.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

In 2010 I bought around 250 books online in just a few days. I bought from about 10 different websites. Somewhere along the way my credit card got used for some bogus charges. Even after I got a new card I was still getting charges. I suspect the credit card company didn't completely close the original account and was automatically transferring charges from the old card to the new. They gave me another new card and the charges stopped. The card issuer refunded the charges.

The card issuers generally don't lose any money on fraudulent charges. They take the money back from the merchant. In Belinda's case I'm sure the merchant was very happy that the order didn't ship. The merchant probably would have had the money taken back by the credit card issuer and be out the merchandise too.

I worked at CompUSA years ago when laptops cost upwards of $3,000. A lady bought a laptop for around $3,000 and then told her credit card issuer she never bought the item. We were reasonably certain she actually bought the laptop from us. I never did find out what happened in the end. We were going to lose the $3,000 if we couldn't prove she really bought it.

From what I understand from talking with the police office yesterday, credit card info theft is pretty prevalent here. Apparently is has something to do with being part of the I-95 corridor. I work within 3 miles of 95 and live within 7 miles of it, so most places I shop/eat are very near it. We have a lot of robberies of banks just of 95 as well.

The last name of the crook is "Lie". Really? Quite original.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 02-16-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    The last name of the crook is "Lie". Really? Quite original.
    What was the first name, "Ima"?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    What was the first name, "Ima"?

how do this name sound I Am Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    ....The last name of the crook is "Lie"....
    Lie-Nielsen? Who-da-thunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Lie-Nielsen? Who-da-thunk.
    There are a lot of fishing spots up there in Maine!

A friend of mine has been fighting this for almost a year, you got lucky! Somehow, they got his info, then bought something in his name, had it shipped elsewhere and got a credit card in his name (mispelled of course but with his address), bought a bunch of stuff, now they are opening Utility accounts and not paying them, etc....he has creditors/colletion agencies contacting him all the time for payments. Its a real mess. He did file a police report but it really didn't help.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY