Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on building a white built-in

I agree with everything Sam said there. I was going to type almost that same explanation of why I think MDF,while it has it's place, is overated.

oh goodness that stuff is dusty O.O

Truth be told MDF stopped bothering me dust wise after I got my tracksaw. It's the heft and fastening issues that would bug me, which is why I asked what the proper way to fasten MDF carcasses together would be.

It's interesting how a white built-in, which seems like a simple project, actually presents some sizeable challenges.

you are triggering post-traumatic memories that i have of buying a full sheet and attempting to cut all the parts for raised panel doors and drawer fronts out of it! i've learned the hard way that if you're working solo, it's best to just build smaller boxes and attach them to a larger face frame instead of building this goliath cabinet that nearly takes a miracle to move into position and lift. the best way i've found to connect MDF and melamine is with confirmat screws that you can get through mcfeely's - they look like the screws you use for knockdown furniture.

One more building built-ins with shop grade birch plywood and poplar face frames. Doors are poplar frames with mdf panels. We use ML Campbel's finishes. I don't see the need to spray clear over their satin white. I'm also in agreement that mdf is a bad idea for the cabinet boxes. We've never had a problem with plywood.
    HTH,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    you are triggering post-traumatic memories that i have of buying a full sheet and attempting to cut all the parts for raised panel doors and drawer fronts out of it! i've learned the hard way that if you're working solo, it's best to just build smaller boxes and attach them to a larger face frame instead of building this goliath cabinet that nearly takes a miracle to move into position and lift. the best way i've found to connect MDF and melamine is with confirmat screws that you can get through mcfeely's - they look like the screws you use for knockdown furniture.
    Ah yes, confirmats, totally forgot about those.

Ok, I'm convinced. Thanks to all of you, here's the plan:

Plywood carcasses
    Poplar or soft maple doors and frames, MDF panels
    EM6500 + SC9000 semigloss poly

I'm actually looking forward to this project. Unfortunately, the built-in sort of morphs into the corner fireplace, which will require a new mantel/surround at the same time, which I have yet to design.

Gentlemen I highly disagree with the attitude against MDF. You can build a strong enough box with it. Dado and glue, staples or screws, decent back rails, quarter inch back and a solid face frame. I built an awful lot of cabinets for paint with it and have not had a failure yet Put everything in the way of tops with it from plastic laminate to soap stone. It will hold the weight. I gave up on the paint grade plywood when the veneer bubbled and the seams let go because of the finish. Like I said before, the two drawbacks are weight and dust. The pluses are its stable, its smooth and finishes well and not to start another argument, melamine and the Euro-type construction is not as strong as the face frame construction, in my opinion, and you are worrying about MDF not being strong. And I ask how strong a cabinet has to be.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I had my wives dehumidifier leak all over an MDF nightstand I made out of some scrap stuff and it totally ruined it. Plywood might have been damaged but I doubt it would have been destroyed. Also she bumped it with the vacuum cleaner and took a giant piece of it off. I am pretty sure plywood might have dented a little but not fallen apart like this did. I can't imagine putting MDF carcasses in a kitchen with water and all of the wear and tear that goes on but I know people do it. This has just been my experience.

Keith - Okay. Water will destroy anything. Banging a piece of furniture with a vacuum cleaner is hard on the furniture. Have you seen an oak floor when a pipe has burst in a kitchen or the floor of the cabinet no matter what it was made out of? There's no material out there that is foolproof. I like MDF for bookcases -- you don't. I have been building cabinets for a lot of years and I can remember when particle board first came out. Now they are covering it and calling it melamine. As I said in myt earlier comments. The issues isn't the material so much as the finish. If the finish is done correctly MDF is excellent. I have my experiences - you have your opinions. Have a nice day.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I have my experiences - you have your opinions

Interesting statement.

Much of the kitchen cabinetry I build back in 2003 for the renovation I did were finished in a predecessor (two generations back) of the EM6500. Only recently have I been considering refreshing the finish after much wear and tear since the kiddos came along.

And yes, I tend to pre-finish components for cabinetry to avoid "shooting into boxes". It does take time to mask off glue surfaces, etc., but the end result has worked well for me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

great info in post ... folks .