Thread: Do you have a woodworking magazine collection?

Blog Entries

Do you have a woodworking magazine collection?

Do you have a woodworking magazine collection? if so, which ones?

-----------------------------------------------------
    my collection

Complete:

Shop Notes
    Wood
    Woodsmith

Incomplete:

Woodworkers Journal
    American Woodworker
    Popular Woodworking
    Family Handyman
    Woodcraft
    Scollsaw Woodworking & Crafts
    Wood (extra copies)
    Shop Notes (extra copies)

Oh, just a big ol' pile of them ... that LOML wishes I'd throw away ;-)

All sorts. Also bought quite a few years of FWW, off CraigsList, a while back. Those are in the garage, though
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Just Fine Woodworking. Issue #1 through #225.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Just Fine Woodworking. Issue #1 through #225.
    I'm a Fine Woodworking fan also, I have a monthly subscription + the collection on cd.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Kevin
    +1 what Joe said. Tom

Complete set of Wood Magazine and Today's Woodworker.
    Scott

I had a collection of
    Shop Notes
    Woodsmith
    Popular Woodworking
    Fine Woodworking
    and a bunch of single issues from other.

Gave the magazines to a local new woodworker, but kept the Fine Woodworking special issues.

Steve

Large collection of FWW, FineHomebuilding, Woodwork, Woodcraft, PWW. I also have a smattering of AWW, Wood, and WWJ. I have been going through the collection for the past few weeks and culling what I just don't want anymore. I give them to a friend, so they are not immediately going to the landfill.

I've got several going

Wood: quite a few, current subscription, digital back issues, no plans to fill in missing hard copy issues
    Shopnotes: quite a few, current subscription, pdfs of back issues, currently working to fill in all hard copy issues I'm missing
    Woodsmith: quite a few, current subscription, pdfs of back issues, currently working to fill in all hard copy issues I'm missing
    FWW: few from here and there mostly special issues, DVD of back issues, no plans to ever subscribe to or fill in missing hard copies
    PWW: few from here and there, DVD of back issues, looking at subscribing (sent in a special 2 year offer a day late, so we'll see), no plans to fill in missing hard copies
    Woodworkers Journal: few from here and there, current subscription, no digital copies, might look into digital back issue, no plane to fill in missing hard copy back issues
    American Woodworker: few from here and there, current subscription, no digital copies, might look into digital back issue, no plane to fill in missing hard copy back issues
    Woodcraft: all issues since I started subscribing a year or so ago. i might look inot getting the issues I'm missing.

Have a few other odds an ends. Have a few issues of some magazine called Woodwork. I've seen a digital collection with the same name, if I can verify that it's the same magazine, I'll probably look into getting that.

I don't know if there is any direct benefit from having access to all of these, but sometimes I need some downtime to let my mind simmer over some problem or another and flipping through these can help. Plus it's nice to have the issues on hand when you finally run across the need for some jig or piece of shop furniture (especially one you see a post of someone else completing and using).
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 02-17-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: forgot one

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kuykendall View Post
    Complete set of Wood Magazine and Today's Woodworker.
    Scott
    Never heard of Today's Woodworker. Is it still published Is (was) it any good? Worth hunting down?

Couple years worth of WOOD and Woodsmith. Let my WOOD sub lapse, but started the Woodsmith backup.

Seems I'm missing something though, alot of ya'll have FWW. Hmmmm

I think it was a great magazine, it was published by Rockler Press which I belive is the same company as the Rockler we have today. I know Rockler used to sell the back issues when they still had them. There are only 57 issues the last one was May / June 1998. the newer issues had full size template / patterns that made it nice. They started out with no ads but as they grew they started getting more advertiser.They had a good range of articles from small to large which included turning projects.
    Scott

Blog Entries
    anyone else?

Yes and I am kicking myself now that the digital age is here. But have a continuing collection from issue#1 on
    Shopnotes
    WoodSmith
    Fine Woodworking

Wood from issue #42
    American Woodworker, Popular Wood Working, and Workbench are many issues but incomplete. As a side note I have found some really nice corrigated plastic storage boxes at bagsunlimited.com that make storage and filing much more organized.

Someday my hopes are to use my library as a reference for many many mental projects.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

Have a complete set of Woodsmith and Shopnotes, along with numbers 89 to date of Fine Woodworking.

I subscribe to numerous other woodworking magazines and keep them in a pile. When I moved about 10 years ago, I had a 4' high pile of magazines.

Now I still retain them, but after about 5-6 months I cull the pile. If anything is of interest, I tear it out and place it in an expanding according file. I make a copy of the article and put in the magazine, which along with the other complete copies I send to an out-of-state fellow woodworker. And what he does not want, he puts in his office waiting area.

Every few years, I cull the articles in the expanding file.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 03-03-2012 at 6:45 PM. Reason: spelling