Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Need help catching a raccoon

This is an interesting read. I am glad we don't have them where I live in Canada. Must be too cold for them. Or they tried coming north and were all shot. My first advice would be to shoot it. Second would be a 220 conibear trap. No experience with live traps. Good luck I hear they can be aweful pests.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Forman View Post
    This is an interesting read. I am glad we don't have them where I live in Canada. Must be too cold for them. Or they tried coming north and were all shot. My first advice would be to shoot it. Second would be a 220 conibear trap. No experience with live traps. Good luck I hear they can be aweful pests.
    yes it is too cold in the Peace river district but in Toronto they are overrun with them and to a lesser extent in Calgary also. Edmonton does not have raccoons but there are plenty of wild rabbits there. One thing to remember about raccoons is they carry a parasite that is very bad for humans...they can cause a lot of damage if contracted.

If you do decide to try the sardines, buy the plain old sardines in oil, and buy the smallest can that you can find. When you bait the trap, just crack the can open a little bit, just enough to drizzle a little of the smelly oil through the mesh of the trap, in front of the trip pan. If you open the can too much, the coon will manipulate it over to one edge and pick the sardines out of the can with his dextereous little fingers, right through the mesh from outside the trap. It also helps to wire the can to the floor of the trap in front of the trip pan. I've actually had them roll the trap around until the can of sardines slides out the door, or under the trip pan. Set the trigger right on the hairy edge, so even the slightest weight placed on the trip pan will trigger it. Good luck!

I had to wrap and wire hardware cloth (material that is made from welded wire with 1/4 inch squares) around the trip area to keep the raccoon from accessing my bait.
    David B

Or, you could put the trap in the attic and let the raccoon in for one night. That way, you won't catch any neighborhood pests, although you would probably do good to put down a small tarp or something underneath the trap...

It's still winning

Raccoon-4 Me-0

1) Bacon (cooked) - didn't work.

2) Marshmallows - didn't work.

3) Fresh apples-not interested enough.

4) Honey Bun- not interested enough.

I'm slowly working towards the sardines. I did manage to spray my gable vent to keep it out, only to get woken up in the middle of the night by something screaming, which I thought was the raccoon in the trap. I got up, looked, the trap was still set. I had sprayed the gable vent with that stuff that keeps them away, of course, with it already inside for the night It wasn't too happy that it couldn't get out and it let me know it.

I have a trap door that's real small and I have to use a ladder to get into it, and I can't get the trap, me, and a raccoon through it, onto a ladder, without killing myself or ending up eye to eye with the thing as we both go through the trap door, my head and it going through at the same time I think I'll pass on that one.....

Can't shoot it, I'll end up in jail. I don't live in the country, so that's not an option. I'm not going to jail over a raccoon.

So I'll give something else a try soon. I'll work through the list until something works
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm telling you, peanut butter is the secret for baiting a Raccoon trap. Raccoons love it, cats and dogs are indifferent to it. It will attract skunks though. What you've got this time of year is a momma raccoon looking for a place to have her babies. So if you don't get rid of her now, you're going to have a lot of little raccoon problems to go with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    I'm telling you, peanut butter is the secret for baiting a Raccoon trap. Raccoons love it, cats and dogs are indifferent to it. It will attract skunks though. What you've got this time of year is a momma raccoon looking for a place to have her babies. So if you don't get rid of her now, you're going to have a lot of little raccoon problems to go with her.
    +1 on the peanut butter.

Try ears of corn. The coons around here live on corn, I have trapped a few using corn and that seems to attract them better than all of the other baits, marshmallows, peanut butter etc. You can get ears of corn at places that sell bird seed, etc.

The Turtleman, Ernie Brown, Jr. : Call of the Wildman : Animal Planet

Seriously, you've never seen him??

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

When I was young and lived in the country, my brother and I trapped raccoons. Started off baiting with open cans of tuna or sardines. That got expensive fast. Then went to poking holes in the can. That still adds up. Finally settles on cut-up apple wedges. That worked for us.
    Careful getting it out. They are certainly nasty little critters, especially when cornered.

There's a big, fat glob of peanut butter waiting for it tonight. We'll see.........
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have trapped alot of raccoon's, and what happens is they get wise to the trap. Place the trap in a large black garbage bag, and trow in a bunch of table scraps. They cant resist a garbage bag, and like the others have said they may look cute but they are very mean, and can cause a lot of damage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    There's a big, fat glob of peanut butter waiting for it tonight. We'll see.........
    Well?!!!!!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Nothing!

At this point, I think I'm on "it's rounds" and it doesn't come here every night, or I don't have the trap in the right "path" of it's travels. The trap is in the dark, next to the house, no lights on that area at all. Big fat spoonful of peanut butter in the trap and nothing. Same result with the marshmallows and the honeybun.