Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple 240V Outlets On one Circuit

Multiple 240V Outlets On one Circuit

I know there are old threads on this topic. But I will not resurrect them.So that there is no confusion and replies to the original posters questions.

I need two 40 amp outlets and two possibly three 30 amp. in my basement shop. What I am planing is to run 10/2 and 8/3 (that's what I have on hand)romex thru my ceiling joists and when I get to the first drop put a junction box in the joist bay and run the romex down in 1/2" metal conduit to the outlet box. Then from the junction box in the joist bay continue to the next drop with romex in the joist bay again till I reach the next drop. Does this sound ok. What is the best way to make the splices in the junction box. Some big honkin wire nuts? Its hard to imagine twisting together two or even three pieces of stranded 8awg wire and capping it with a nut. I don't know of any electrical supply houses near me. So I will need to rely on the blue or orange big box stores for supplies. Unless someone can advise a supply house in CT near 06278 that will deal with the public.

Thank you in advance,
    James

Ideal Blue Wire nuts will handle up to 2 #8 AWG conductors and 3 #10 AWG conductors. I don't know of a wire nut that will handle 3 #8's. To do 3 #8's would require a jumper in the box, or a split bolt ( which I'm not certain is allowed).
    Lowes on 44 should have the wire nuts. If not, There is an electrical supply house in Norwich right off the 395 Exit for Dodd stadium. Get off the exit, make a right, and they will be on the left. The former Capital Lighting in Waterford is also a source. They are off the 395 exit for the Waterford Speedbowl. A quick right off the off ramp and you are right there.
    It's too bad Higgin's Electric in Norwich closed. They were great. All you had to do was describe what you were doing and they would get you everything you needed, and tell you how to install it to be code compliant.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike,

Thank you. What's a jumper?

James

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    .....Its hard to imagine twisting together two or even three pieces of stranded 8awg wire and capping it with a nut.....
    Be sure you twist the wires together neatly using pliers in each hand. Then cut the bare twist to the proper length for the wire nut. Then put the wire nut on. As with all wire gauges, the wire nut does not do the twisting (though many, even professionals, will incorrectly do it that way).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    .....I don't know of a wire nut that will handle 3 #8's.....
    Home Depot sells a three-pack of powder blue wire nuts that will hold, on the large end, two #6 solid conductors or three #8 solid conductors. The package says "Buchanan B-Cap", and the numbers under the bar code say: 81789 73203.

Blog Entries
    I would use split bolt connectors.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Like Von B. wrote use split bolts. I use them for any wires over #10. I use high quality tape and wrap the bolts with lots of it. There are splices made for larger wires that are sold with a sealant and a heat shrink cover that covers and seals the connection. I have used these for underground splicing and like them more than any other options.
    David B

Blog Entries
    Aside from the supplies issue, you should NOT mix 30a and 40a on the same circuit. If you are planning two different circuits, then sorry to have butt in!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Be sure you twist the wires together neatly using pliers in each hand. Then cut the bare twist to the proper length for the wire nut. Then put the wire nut on. As with all wire gauges, the wire nut does not do the twisting (though many, even professionals, will incorrectly do it that way).
    I agree. This is a rant, but it PO's me when I find a bunch of wires in a wire nut and they've not been twisted together. Just tells me the previous worker was shoddy.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I agree. This is a rant, but it PO's me when I find a bunch of wires in a wire nut and they've not been twisted together. Just tells me the previous worker was shoddy.

Mike
    Which contradicts the manufacturers installation instructions...............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Which contradicts the manufacturers installation instructions...............Regards, Rod.
    You mean to tell me that the manufacturer says not to twist the wires together?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Never used split bolt connectors before. How do you prevent the connectors from shorting against each other in the junction box?

Thank you all for the tips. I was able to get the two circuits completed today. The 8awg was tough to twist together. But starting with plenty of exposed wire and two pairs of pliers. I was satisfied with the connection. Then the big blue wire nuts from Home Depot was the icing on the cake. Man, those are some robust wire nuts!

No more sharing one outlet between my jointer planer and bandsaw for me! I am so glad I finally did this.

James

Yes Mike, I checked several boxes of different size mareetes and the instructions say, and the illustration shows that the wires are inserted straight, and then the marrette is twisted.

So in Canada, twisting the wires before inserting them in the marrette wouldn't meet code requirements, as you have not followed the instructions supplied by the manufacturer..........Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Never used split bolt connectors before. How do you prevent the connectors from shorting against each other in the junction box?
    Good electrical tape......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution