Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roof: Ridge Vents AND turbines?

I have no opinion on this matter, but it is comical.....

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have no opinion on this matter, but it is comical.....

Larry
    Said it before and I'll say it again that the one thing I know for sure about fluid dynamics is that I don't understand fluid dynamics. I'd bet that 99% of the people who install these sorts of things have no idea how why certain things are done the way they are, but just that they know they work because they've worked the last 10,000 times and if you screw with the formula bad things happen (and no problem with that, if we all had to understand everything we did from first principals we'd never get anything done - "mom why does water expand when it freezes?" lol).

Working on computer room cooling I've seen some really weird things (like the computers closest to the chiller are often the hottest because the airflow is so high it just shoots right past them, The computer above a baffle that stuck out 2" was ~30F hotter than any of the others in the rack, etc..). I would reckon that any of the above speculation is possible, actually knowing for sure is more complicated than I'm willing to try to calculate anytime soon My few forays into things involving air movement have been pretty universally "educational" if not always productive...

How would you locate a turbine vent so it wasn't facing the wind?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Said it before and I'll say it again that the one thing I know for sure about fluid dynamics is that I don't understand fluid dynamics.
    We have a friend that is one of the worlds foremost fluid dynamics guys (he is a F1 car aerodynamicist). I am a huge fan and on the rare occasion we are in the same room (he is in the UK) I usually make him talk shop. When I ask about a teams new design and why they would do that I understand about three words of his next 2 thousand, all three of which are conjunctions. Two of our mutual friends feel the same way and they are both engineers.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.