Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - what do street drugs smell like?

There is a whole new crop of synthetic marijuana type products on the market that are pretty popular with the younger generation. Many are legal, but states are doing what they can to try to get on top of it and add them to controlled substance lists. Many of these products could have an odd smell to them that doesn't necessarily smell like marijuana or tobacco. There is also another group of substances that are in the "bath salt" group. They label them "not for human consumption" but they are being used for just that.

Educate yourself by doing a search for either bath salts or synthetic marijuana. This might point you in a better direction.

Also, the guy that came to see you needs to be alert to behavior and physical changes in the suspected users. That might clue him in more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I agree, Paul. I'll pass that along, while I try to find a direct answer to his "odor and ashes" questions.

I did find some info on the smell of Meth - like burning rubber or plastic - but that it varies with the impurities in the Meth. I also could not tell whether they were talking about the smell of production or the smell of use.

Edit: He said the smell was like when a steak our ground beef has to much blood and the blood is burning in the frying pan. (Sorry. That's really gross.)
    If meth smell like burning rubber or plastic then anyone who use it would be easy to detest when smoking
    the word detest was misspell, it were meant to say detect
    Last edited by ray hampton; 02-20-2012 at 4:18 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Just for context, we address all kinds of things in counseling, so it is the specific question of smells that I did not know what to do with.

All of the rest of the pointers are valid advice for people to read too, so I thank you for all of the comments.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I think that idea of getting a test kit and running it is the best way. It will not be popular but being a parent is not popular and my wife and I were not popular. We told our kids that it was our job to check up on them and keep them going in the right direction. We were lucky and never had to run drug tests. We did check occasionally on if the kids were where they said they would be. We also told them that we would check their rooms because they were our rooms and it was part of our job.

It is not easy being a parent and there are some tough things to do. I would never want to look back and say that I wished I had checked on the kids more often.

IT is not easy to quit drugs after you use them for a while SO TALK NOW BEFORE THEY GET too dependence on the crap, the talk is that people whom craved sweets also may become drunks, I knew a numbers of drunks but never did a survey of their eating habits

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    You don't think that might be a tad heavy handed?
    It is all in how you approach it.

But first, let me say that, where there is smoke, there is fire. I cannot help unless I have all the facts. I cannot count on the drug user to provide me with all the necessary details. Therefor the drug test is pretty much required.

If I had to order drug tests, I'd simply explain it thusly: "I don't like it any more than you do. But drugs are a powerful motivator and users will lie, cheat, and steal. I don't want to put you in the position where you feel you have to do any of those things, so we're going to do the smart thing and get some testing going."

Thankfully, I have never been put in this situation, but I know quite a few others that have.

Without getting too political I feel all drugs are gateway drugs.

I watched as my very first best friend (friends from the time we were two or three years old) became an alcoholic, then started using marijuana, then started using all sorts of prescription pills, then started using all sorts of other drugs.

You see, his parents thought it was cute to have him mix their martinis starting at about ten. By twelve he was a secret alcoholic. By fourteen he was smoking pot, and it just got progressively worse.

He died from an overdose three years ago. He had been clean for several years, but pain killers after a motorcycle accident got him going again.

His parents were unable to cope. He manipulated them like a virtuoso playing a violin.

I've noticed that most of the kids I've known that have become heavily involved in drugs had/have parents that were completely ineffectual. Probably the single biggest failure I've seen is that the parents attempt to reason with the children. IMHO, there is really very little reasoning with someone addicted to drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    IT is not easy to quit drugs after you use them for a while SO TALK NOW BEFORE THEY GET too dependence on the crap, the talk is that people whom craved sweets also may become drunks, I knew a numbers of drunks but never did a survey of their eating habits
    I agree. Starting at a young age my mother explained the dangers of drugs, their addictive nature. I have done the same thing with my kids. You have to start early.

I was a full blown alcoholic by age 19. I came from a very loving, supportive family, my parents set firm, reasonable limits on us. My fathers family was full of alchoholics, but my father wasnt one of them. these things are very complex.
    My opinion is it doesn't matter at all, how it happens. The issue is how to help the addict recover, and stay in recovery.
    ymmv
    Paul

you could have the ash tested or if a pipe was found or aluminum foil..possible they could have a trace amt. revealed in a test.Local labs test for mold,asbestos,radium,water purity etc;they should be able to test residues and if not where to point you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Edit: He said the smell was like when a steak our ground beef has to much blood and the blood is burning in the frying pan. (Sorry. That's really gross.)
    Sounds like animal sacrifice!

Seriously, I have two suggestions:

First, most communities have youth drug abuse prevention and counseling organizations that have local high school students do presentation to the area junior high schools. My daughter was involved with the one in Princeton, NJ called "Corner House" but I am sure they exist all across the country. Those organizations have excellent up-to-date information about what the current "drugs of choice" are in your area. I went to college in the early 70s, so I am not unexperienced in the drug culture, but when I went to a Corner Houe presentation a few years ago, I learned about no less than half a dozen drugs that I had never heard of before.

The other is that parents can buy drug detection kits for most of the major drugs. A parent can test the kids' keyboards, desks, etc. and the test will pick up the residue of the drug. Not perfect, but people who use illegal drugs lie. And they're excellent at it. It is unlikely that a parent will get the truth from an actual drug using child. A parent might get the truth if it was a one-time thing, but not if a kid is a real drug user.

I think the surest sign is when a child's friends suddenly stop coming to your house and your child instead starts hanging out with new friends elsewhere - especially if the house they're hanging at belongs to someone who is often not home. I used to be shocked at the number of parents who let there kids go to someone's house but won't call the parents to see if there is anyone home. Kids get away with stuff because they know that their parents won't call someone they don't know to check if their own kid is telling the truth.

HTH,

Steve

sounds to me like maybe one of the newer synthetic "spices" or synthetic weed. they have interesting smells to them, i know quiet a few who do them cause theyre "legal" but i dont touch them. ive heard they are wosre for you because of the chemicals in them, but part of the reason theyre legal is cause the high from them only lasts 30 minutes? not entirly sure on that.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

at home drug testing, needs to be totaly by suprise. if it doesnt show up its a newer synthetic type, if they refuse to give a sample i would be concerned
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    If meth smell like burning rubber or plastic then anyone who use it would be easy to detest when smoking
    As a guy who is trying to quit, I find that most non-smokers do detest us.

If you force them to take a drug test, which is your right as a parent if they are under 18, and they haven't been using, they soon will be. By forcing them to take a drug test you say loud and clear "I don't trust you to make your own decisions." In my opinion it would be better to sit down with them and talk to them about it, but the fact that the parent has already spoken to someone else about it before talking to their own children about it makes it look like there is some sort of communication problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    As a guy who is trying to quit, I find that most non-smokers do detest us.
    Jim,

I suspect Ray meant "detect" not detest. But as a former smoker, I apprecieate your comment and realize the hardships endured when quiting. I smoked 1 1/2 packs per day for 41 years before I gave up the habit.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....