Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help - what do street drugs smell like?

Moses,

I would suggest that a parent asking their kid to take a drug test is rather stating they care enough about their child to take a chance on upsetting them. A parents responsibility is to be a parent first and a friend second, if possible.

Beyond that I would suggest that being a parent is the job for which all of us had the least amount of training and as a result have to play it by ear. I am the oldest of 6 kids and it amazed me how differently my sibblings got treated. I am sure my mother and father felt they learned some lessons with me and as a result modified their approach with my sisters and brother. I don't see this father asking for advice as demonstrating a family communication problem but rather a concerned parent seeking other parents' advice, recommendations and opinions before making a decision, taking action and possibly making a mistake. Communication problem? I don't think so.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have passed on your advice to the dad and won't comment any further about his specifics.

I welcome the continued discussion because parents and kids and protection from drugs is very important, and my responses will now be general ones, no longer related to this specific case.

Thanks, friends.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    As a guy who is trying to quit, I find that most non-smokers do detest us.
    but do they detect your smoke

With today's young people smoking just about anything. It's hard to say what anything smells like. Most drug stores have drug test kits, so you can always test them. Most departments use presumptive kits that are low cost, so if you take in residue, they would probably test it for you. You should call ahead though, to prevent any awkward situation. Otherwise document symptoms. Meth will cause dilated (widened pupils) accelerated pulse, body temp and rigid musculature. Heroin or an opiate has the opposite effect. Flacid muscles, constricted pupils and decreases pulse, BP and Body temp. The best thing I ever learned in DRE class was that pot smokers usually have LOC (lack of convergence). They can't cross their eyes. They will be looking straight at you, but they'll swear their eyes are crossed.
    State police is probably the best place to go for information, usually they are better funded on the education side of the house. If its' meth they'll be able to tell pretty quick. it Destroys people's appearance pretty rapidly. Lot's of pick marks.