Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine cover for Mr. DeCristoforo

Magazine cover for Mr. DeCristoforo

Well done! I just saw this as I was searching for the current issue that will be out soon. Your work is definitely getting recognized more and more outside of this site. Congrats!!!!!

April 2012
    On the Cover: The stunning pedestal forms on the cover were done by David DeCristoforo. They are as simple as they are elegant and they have evolved into his signature pieces. The Honduras rosewood burl pieces in the middle and the right are especially gorgeous.
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Most excellent! Congrats David!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Instantly recognizable and well deserved recognition!

Nice DD!! Congrats!!!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Very nice...very very nice. The magazine will look quite nice sitting in view of these amphora forms too!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanx (again) for the comments. It's very satisfying. Especially in light of several recent "setbacks". I had the feeling that I was "on a roll" after getting accepted into the delMano gallery. That was followed closely by having a couple of pieces sold at SOFA by the John Natsoulas gallery. But I questioned the guy at delMano about some discrepancies between what he had told me and what was indicated in the paperwork he sent me and I guess I did not understand "the rules" well enough and he got p.o.'ed and sent my stuff back. That was followed closely by the now infamous "character besmirching" incident which left me feeling oddly demoralized.

At that point, I decided that I was taking this stuff way too seriously. I started turning to satisfy a need to be creative and to make (hopefully) beautiful objects. Somewhere along the way, I lost touch with that and began to let my ego start influencing my work and how I felt about it. That resulted in a noticeable decrease in the enjoyment I had been getting from doing the work in the first place. I think this was coming, in part, from a sense that anything that was taking that much time and energy should be producing some income. I'm sure i am not alone in wanting to sell my work. But my original focus was not on making money from this and i think that having the focus shift to that took away much of the pleasure I got from doing the work in the first place.

Being accepted into delMano felt like a big step in a good direction. I still do not understand exactly what went awry there but I think it might have had a lot to do with the guy being stressed out over having to deal with his partner's terminal illness. Maybe it was just bad timing. But in any case, having this magazine feature my work is a nice boost. I don't know if it will have much impact in terms of getting pieces sold since it would seem that the readership is comprised primarily of other turners. My wife calls this a "demi monde"… a small world. It seems appropriate. At some point, I will start looking for other galleries that may be interested in my work but for now, I am trying to just get back to enjoying the process.
    David DeCristoforo

Make that a triple whammy with DD on the cover. Excellent
    I turn, therefore I am

Good work as usual and good thoughts also. Enjoy what you do. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Blog Entries
    I saw that the other day and knew imediately it was your work. Congratulations my friend on an excellent opportunity.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Congratulations David on the cover. I've made a conscious effort never to mix work with fun. I don't skydive on my time and I don't sell my work. When it becomes work it stops being fun for me. Nice to see an artist of your quality who can be introspective.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

congratulations David , interesting comments of yours above and something to take to heart

Hmmmmm, wonder if we'll see an ambrosia maple one in the future...hint-hint.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Way cool !!! Congrats big time.
    Dick Mahany.

Congratulations David your pieces look good on there!