Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First "REAL" Ambrosia turnings!

Looks good Jeff. I'm with you, ambrosia maple is awesome fun.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Your shop makes mine look neat and tidy, most days. The fetching Mrs. Herzberg says she will now "shut her mouth." I tried to talk her into some mustard while she was being so agreeable, but no go.

The worms did and especially good job on that maple. Your corings look great too. Those are some beautiful bowls. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff, Watch out for the knock on the door!! John will be standing there with his tooth brush in his shirt pocket, broom in hand, demanding you clean your shop. Oh, the white gloves are sticking out of his hip pocket. Unbelievable maple. I am glad you have coring capability cuz it would be a crime to put all of that on the floor in shavings.
    I turn, therefore I am

WOW, those are some beautiful bowls. I could really use a coring rig. That really makes a difference in what you can produce. Great work.

What a way to return...that's some gorgeous ambrosia man! I love the shots of the shavings on the rafter items...well done!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

You definitely let the chips fall where they may. Nice looking coring, and makes me want the McNaughton. It looks like there are a lot of unfinished projects in the background. I am just getting a new shop completed after moving, and hung my steady rest on the wall yesterday, but have not found enough lathe tools yet to get back to turning and have to do some flat work to get the shop ready and things off the floor and out of boxes.

Jeff, it's super good to see you're turning, those bowls are super nice!! That's some amazing looking Maple. No one can accuse you of not making curlies! You have them everywhere, even hanging from the rafters! Don't change a thing my friend!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wilson View Post
    Jeff, Watch out for the knock on the door!! John will be standing there with his tooth brush in his shirt pocket, broom in hand, demanding you clean your shop. Oh, the white gloves are sticking out of his hip pocket. Unbelievable maple. I am glad you have coring capability cuz it would be a crime to put all of that on the floor in shavings.
    Dick, that made me chuckle. You realize he has to core if he didn't there would be no more room to turn
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Beautiful set of bowls Jeff! That ambrosia maple is awesome, great markings!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

wow! mike sent you gorgeous wood..your nest of bowls really show off that wood. Great job
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Nice work Jeff. That wood sure looks familiar................
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Beautiful stuff, Jeff!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Thank you all for the fine comments! I have another big blank like that from Mike that is waiting for me to do some more magic on. I too was so amazed at the equal amount of ambrosia throughout the blank and also very glad that I invested in the coring system, it has paid for itself many times over already! The McNaughton is not as hard to use as some would have you believe, or maybe it is just me, but when I first got it, figuring out that ending up with the cutter tip at center or slightly above center when the core is ready to break off. I found this out because I was having a heck of a time with catches and they were due to falling below center during the cut, also I was turning to slow to keep the chips cleared out. The speed will have to be determined by each individuals comfort, but I am not talking more than about 700rpm+- depending on wood and moisture content.

On the no face mask, I normally wear it when I am roughing things out and always when I am standing in front of the lathe. But for the pictures I wanted my beautiful mug to shine through so I just had on the saftey glasses. Then of course my other outstanding piece of turning wear, "THE CAPE" is because I hate the chips down my shirt, but I don't want another complete layer on so I use the cape. I may get my sewing machine going and make one with some velcro on it for ease of use, maybe in a bright "LIME" green or color that won't be lost in the mess!

Speaking of the mess, I have moved and cleaned up a lot since the last time John visited, so he would be amazed at the transformation, but there are a lot of projects going and all of the walking sticks and canes in the rafters, make great curl catchers. I would welcome a visit from John or anyone passing through, I have 2 spare bedrooms and I make pretty good coffee and the bakery is close by with out of this world apple fritters to go with it.

But I did pay for the turning yesterday, my hands were swollen up from the arthiritis and my back and shoulders were not real happy either, but it was so much fun anyway and I will do it again.

Thanks again for all the great comments, more to come,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Wow...really? and no one noticed that you may lose that mug due to ignorance? Well...how about we ban every turner for a month that displays hazardous turning techniques in any forum? You may be a great supporter of SMC Jeff, but I sold 5 pens this week and had my protection on during every step including cleaning the shop. Maybe you could be an example rather than a determent to safe turning?...it only takes a second...either way
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 02-20-2012 at 5:43 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    Great looking set Jeff don't clean to much it will just get that way again