Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First "REAL" Ambrosia turnings!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post First "REAL" Ambrosia turnings!

Hey all,

It has been a long time since I have posted anything that I have been working on, so I thought today was a good day to turn a beautiful piece of Ambrosia Maple that Mike Cruz sent to me. But the problem is.....I WANT MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!! It was absolutely wonderful to turn and I had big curls all over the shop, as you can see in the pictures I had them hanging on everything!

Ambrosia coring from Mike C (13).jpgAmbrosia coring from Mike C (6).JPGAmbrosia coring from Mike C (14).JPG Once I got it roughed out and wearing my stylish chip guard for my neck, I set up the McNaughton set and cored out 4 nice bowls. The big one is a hair under 15" then 12" and so on. The second largest was an afterthought as I had only planned on 3, but there was enough to get another so I went for it. I started at about 5/8" at the top and ended up about 3/8" on the bottom so I cleaned it up and glued a scrap on the bottom so I could basically finish turning it. It ended up with a thickness about 1/4" with the bit extra at the rim.Ambrosia coring from Mike C (11).JPGAmbrosia coring from Mike C (23).JPGAmbrosia coring from Mike C (25).JPG Here are the four bowls when I was done roughing and getting them ready for returning later. They are just beautiful and I can't thank Mike enough for the blank!

Ambrosia coring from Mike C (32).jpg I worked on another blank that I will put in another post later,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Boy, you jumped back in big! That's a nice set of bowls, and with all these recent postings on the McNaughton, I'm gonna have to find me a big ole piece of wood myself! Love the bowls and love all the curlies!

Beautiful wood. Nice set of bowls. I need to learn how to use my McNaughton, but I need time.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Glad to see you finally cleaned up your shop! That is some awesome material. Love the rim detail on the big one...
    David DeCristoforo

Beautiful set Jeff! A true knock out! That's probably the nicest Ambrosia maple I've ever seen
    Tom

Jeff, that is some fantastic Ambrosia!!! But......I can see right now, I am going to have to make another personal visit to your shop for an inspection. We can't have the place looking like that!

Great bowl set Jeff, I love the heavy bowls and these definitely qualify as "heavy". Love the cape, BTW.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

I agree with the great job on some fantastic wood. I also wonder if you are going to be advertising those capes for sale soon?

Man I just love ambrosia maple and that is just beautiful. Can't wait to set that set all finished. They look great.

Beautiful bowl set out of some outstanding ambrosia maple.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

very nice.....

Gorgeous stuff, Jeff! I love the shot of you with the cape... You look like a woodturning superhero!

That looks like a good time Jeff! Fabulous wood only makes it better!

"SUPER TURNER"! Able to core large bowls in a single pass! That is some cool wood,I hope to turn some some day.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Face protection please, like to have you around if I need a steady!!!...and by the way...nice bowls!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots