Thread: Wood shaving art

Wood shaving art

Of all people, my mother just sent me this email. It is of a guy that creates animals from wood shavings.

Artwork from Wood
    Incredible Wooden Chip Artwork by Sergey Bobkov
    54-year-old Sergei Bobkov has patented a unique technique of creating amazing sculptures out of Siberian cedar wood-chips.
    “It’s not very interesting to do what others can. To create something out of nothing in a completely new way is far more inspiring”. This is how Sergei Bobkov explains the unique form of art that he created. He says many people compare his artworks to taxidermy, because they both look so much like the animals they replicate, but Sergei believes they are as different as light and darkness. Whereas taxidermy is all about death, his wood-chip art symbolizes life.
    This resident of Kozhany , Russia , has developed his very own technique, that prevents wood-chips from falling apart in time. After creating about 100-150 chips, from 2-3 inch long cedar stick, he puts them in water for several days. Then, making use of his surgical precision, he carves the chips into any shape he needs.
    Sergey has been doing this for some time now, but he has only created 11 wood-chip sculptures. That’s because just one of these incredible artworks takes around six months to complete, at a work rate of 10 to 12 hours a day, with no days off. Sergei Bobkov focuses on wildlife creatures, and he studies their anatomy for months, before starting work on a sculpture.
    Even though he was offered $17,000 for his wood-chip eagle, Sergei’s Bobkov declined, saying his art is not for sale.

I can't seem to get his photos uploaded but if you google him, you can probably find his art. Quite amazing.

I drink, therefore I am.

3. Absolutely amazing.
    Steven

Now that's an artist! I wonder why he doesn't have any videos on YouTube. Maybe it's blocked in his area. I wanted to add a like/favorite and maybe others would see it there.

Hello!

He lives in the district of Russia where the Internet connections are very poor and slow. I'm not from Russia - from Ukraine, but I know this. My uncle this year was retraited but he lived last 25 year in the Krasnoyarsk region. For such places, not Krasnoyarsk - regional center and capital, but for small citiies connection speed 32 kilobyte per second is well rate! So it can explaine. In any cases, I can ask Russian woodworking forum members about presence in the Internet Sergey Bobkov's videos.

Georg, that would be great! Is He a member of Sawmill Creek? You should invite to be if he is not. We would love to have someone of his talent here!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hello Mike,

I try to connect viaRussian forum members with Sergei Bobkov. But you should understand that for people older 40 years it's enough hard to speak foreign languages. For Bobkov probably too.But I'll try.

That owl's eyes follow me, wherever I go in my room...

Maybe there is translation software he could use... Knowledge, in any language, is still knowledge. And he seems to have a lot of it!
    I drink, therefore I am.