Thread: A Pen weekend

A Pen weekend

had three pens to make for gifts to family and friends, finished them today. two big ben cigars from Olivewood and Buckeye burl, and a slimline from Purpleheart with a Maple inlay. they are my 4th, 5th, and 6th pens I've made and i'm pleased with the progress i've made.

the Olivewood comes from holy city of Jerusalem, so that will go to the Father that baptised me, married me, and baptised my fourth daughter. The Purpleheart is for my first daughter. She graduated college in 2010 and recently got her first promotion, so she needs a nice little gift to commemorate.

I messed up the Buckeye burl so I can't give that one away, so I'll just keep that one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pen making.. Hm... very nice looking pens!
    Somehow Pen making never seem to catch on over here in my corner....
    How did you do the inlay, if I may ask?
    and where does one get the mechanics to make these?
    I really hate those thin little plastic stuff thingies one mostly gets.....
    looks like a real comfy size grip, there....

you need a lathe and the hand tools to turn wood to make a basic pen. for the the inlay pattern, you need some more tools (band saw, table saw) to insert the other wood into the pen blank before it is turned down to size. there is a youtube video that shows how its done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9uQv...121C036AA9B11C

Of course.. ! Thanks a lot !
    ( I was taught wood turning at school.... 45 years ago. Have done mostly metal since then.. turning that is... )

A whole group dedicated to Pen Turning, I did 3 pen/pencil sets last weekend for a client out of olivewood too.

http://www.penturners.org/
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Nice looking set of pens. I'm sure everyone will be happy to receive those as gifts...
    Billy