Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection for Compund Sliding Miter Saw

Blog Entries

Dust Collection for Compund Sliding Miter Saw

Anyony have ideas about teh best way to set this up? I have a ClearVue vac system so plenty of power? Constraints keep me from installing a bottom suction, so I am thinking about a box(made from spare Corian) that encloses right, left, rear and top to an area that still allows feed thru and wide enuff for all angles and tilts, I would then connect two 6" hoses with blast gates, on of the top and one on the left side near bottom(again constraints to the rear as well). Does this sound feasible/practical and any other ideas out there.

DIY works, and is what I did, but ... the basic premise that most people seem to wind up with is the Big Gulp Hood:

IMHO, there are diminishing returns as you try to capture a higher and higher % of the dust, off of RAS's, CMS's, and SCMS's. If you can chunk something together, fed by one 6" port, you'll probably get the vast majority of the dust off your saw.
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

This is what I am doing, haven't had a chance to finish it yet, but I plan to install another duct that runs the entire width. Might help give you an idea or two. You can always reroute the ducts depending on your restrictions. Post 5 has pics.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ed-suggestions

Over the years we have tried enclosing the back side of the saw to capture the dust, but have gotten the best results by placing a hose where the saw tends to throw the dust. This entails fabrication of a bracket to hold a flexible 4" hose were the saw manufacturer has probably provided a bag attachment. A supplemental floor sweep type pickup on the counter allows a bench brush of compressed air clean up of the dust that doesn't get into the hose.

17.jpg

Kevin, nice set up, throw a shelf over that and a couple of canvas flaps to overhang the ends of the shelf and you probably have as good as it gets for this type of dust collector.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

put it on a mobile stand and push it outside

I'm with Frank on this one. If I am going to use my saw a lot I push it outside. Anyone in the Jacksonville, FL area want a Big Gulp Hood?

A friend of mine sees me working outside and says that Sam is - "working in the annex"
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Tim,

I actually found a design that works absolutely PERFECT for standard CMS; SCMS would require the design to be altered a bit, but should still be do-able. Unfortunately, SMC's terms of service restrict me (from my understanding) in posting the link here to the other woodworking site that shows the design, step by step instructions to build along with many pictures. There is also a video at the end of the build that shows how this CMS catch station works in action - totally impressive. I've actually just completed building two of these - one for my CMS and the other for my RAS. They both work BEAUTIFULLY with no dust whatsoever!!!! Unless the mods allow me to post the link to this reputable woodworking forum, then just send me a PM and I'll give you the link or do a search (sponsored by LumberJocks) for "BlankMan". His project is titled "Chop Saw Dust Hood." In the meantime, here are a few pics of what it looks like. The secret to this system is the "plenum" that is built at the rear of the box!!!DSCN0013.jpgDSCN0014.jpgDSCN0015.jpgDSCN0016.jpg
    On the RAS box, I've incorporated a sliding top so when I want to move the arm to the left, it won't hit the box.

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Dutkiewicz; 02-21-2012 at 8:13 PM.

I attached a piece of yoga mat behind the factory dust port that is behind the blade. It works really well. mitersaw2.jpgmitersaw dust 1.jpg

Just spent hours researching and solving this problem. Check out the Wood Nerd: http://www.workshopaholic.net/worksh....html#ductwork

C
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like the sanding table addition. Here a few pictures of my setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

I'll try to snap a few pics tonight. Mine works ok but not perfect when I cut miters. It's very good if I'm at 90 tho and most of my cuts are....I hope. Never know with a HF saw. I use it mostly to rough cut and true it up on the TS.

It's just a box with a 4 inch port in the bottom back and an old vac hose where the dust bag fits. The bag could be used as a wind sock but thats about it. The vac hose is stuffed down into the open 4 inch port in the box. It will get about 80% of the big stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Olver View Post
    Just spent hours researching and solving this problem.
    C
    How deep is the space under the surface of your dust table? What size hose is that and have you created channels or is it all open under the top. Do you use 3/4" holes so you can use hold downs?