Thread: outdoor finish

outdoor finish

Hi All

Got a request for some more tables that will be outdoors. I will be using paint grade maple and tight bond 3. They want them to be black (ebonized). My problem is how to finish it. Last year I posted a thread about using a 2 part finish called polyaspartic. I liked the way it protected the wood but it is very shiny, and was very problematic to apply. I was wondering if there any other or new products out there to protect wood that will be outdoors for an extended period of time? I have used the spar type varnishes and they generally wont last a year without being refinished. Any new information would be very helpful.

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

Best protection would be Exterior Paint. Oil based would be the best but the 100% acrlic are also very good.
    Paint grade maple is pretty plain so grain is not really an issue, correct?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Yes to paint. And, you do want a paint with some flexibility in the film as the wood will move under varying climate conditions. Brittle paint will crack.
    But black paint over wood baked in hot sun will be a problem eventually no matter how careful you are in selecting and applying the paint. Will the tables be under cover or totally exposed? There is a huge difference in longevity of finishes in those two conditions.

Black can be problematic in an outdoor environment. It absorbs sunlight and heats up to a great extent. This can cause the paint to become sort of flat looking and can cause it to bubble, crack and peel.

There is a good reason why you see very few black boats.

You also want to avoid any one part urethane paint. The UV in sunlight attacks the urethane and can also lead to cracking and peeling.
    Howie.........

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies guys
    Sorry about the long wait on a reply but it has been a very busy week trying to finalize everything for a big delivery on Friday.
    I decided to turn down the contract. They wanted me to match a finish on existing tables but I have no access to the tables.
    On a side note I looked up some info on Target Coating website and they have a very interesting product that sounds like something I will have to try. Does anyone have any experience with their EM9300 poly-carbonate urethane finish. It sure sounds good.
    Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member