Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a "quest machine" or tool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you have a "quest machine" or tool

First, I imagine most of you know or can figure out what a quest machine is but just in case, a quest machine is one you really want and have been searching for. Generally it would be a used machine since if you can buy it new it is just a quest for the money, since the machine can be easily found.

So what is your quest machine? What machine is the center of your Craig's List universe.

Many of you might think mine is a bandsaw and you would be correct, however it is doubtful you would guess it. It isn't a Yates American Y36 Snowflake, nor a Tannewitz GH, not even an Oliver 115. My quest machine is an aluminum framed Canadian "mini" saw that weighs in at a healthy 125#! It is the Beaver 3300. It has machine turned aluminum wheel which are smooth in the center and the upper and lower doors have a cut out where you can see the wheels spin. The saw has many nice little details even some small ones left over from the Art Deco machine days. They aren't extremely rare (in Canada and the Northern parts of the US, though I rarely see them in the South) and don't command a premium but I want one! When I actually get around to the true serach, hopefully later this year, I doubt I will have much problem finding one and they can be easily transported in a car trunk so distance isn't a big issue.

If I had the room and money there are probably a dozen bandsaws I would like to have besides the ones I own now but when I get my Beaver I will feel complete on the bandsaw front.

Below are examples of the little Beaver 3300 14" saw:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot....aspx?id=12072

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot....aspx?id=13443

I often wonder when I get the 3300 if I will feel compelled to get its little brother the 12" 2300

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot...l.aspx?id=8553

So what machine is your quest? For those that don't have a quest machine do you have a quest tool?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Mine is a bandsaw too, but an italian one, either MM or Laguna and I want 16 or 18". I can buy new but a LT16HD here costs $4k (outch) but MM16 is $2900.
    So Van, given that I'm here up north, how about the following trade: I find one of those you like, you pay for it and I will ship it to you and you find me a good Italian BS
    and I pay for it and you ship it to me. That we we both solve our problems

Mine is a Northfield 12 inch Medium duty Jointer. I'm looking for the 12 inch width but not the long tables since shop space is tight. The Northfield is the best of both worlds.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Mine is a Northfield 12 inch Medium duty Jointer. I'm looking for the 12 inch width but not the long tables since shop space is tight. The Northfield is the best of both worlds.
    I actually have looked at a couple of Northfield MD 12" jointers recently. Very nice bed length at 74". Interestingly, as I assume you know, the Medium Duty used to be called the Light Duty until the late 40s and they changed the name, from a hobbyist point of view there is nothing light nor medium duty about them.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

F410 or equivalent with a Tersa head.

I have a bug to have another Volvo 240 wagon/5 speed lately that has been taking up more of my search time.

Van, there was a beautiful Oliver bandsaw for sale up here but I just did a search and it is gone. I have seen the saw, the fellow used to work for me and every once in a while he will put it on Craigs for a day or so when he is tight I guess, then take it off. If you are interested in such an animal I'll let you know next time it is on. He wants $3900, but it is awesome.

Larry

Greetings from NC!
    Quest Machine for me? I've been looking for a vintage oscillating spindle sander for 3+ years now. If anyone has a lead on one, I'm not picky, needing restoration is okay. Here's a quick list of vintage makes, in no particular order: Oliver, Wysong & Myles, Porter-Cable, Boice-Crane, Max, State, Syracuse, Wonder, and Yates-American.

Anyone?

Regards,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wassack View Post
    Greetings from NC!
    Quest Machine for me? I've been looking for a vintage oscillating spindle sander for 3+ years now. If anyone has a lead on one, I'm not picky, needing restoration is okay. Here's a quick list of vintage makes, in no particular order: Oliver, Wysong & Myles, Porter-Cable, Boice-Crane, Max, State, Syracuse, Wonder, and Yates-American.

Anyone?

Regards,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC

Davis and Wells has a couple of American made Max units but they aren't at bottom feeder prices plus cross country shipping. Also they don't update their site often so they may be gone.

I know this is going to sound odd to a lot of you, but a Ryobi WDS1600 Cantilevered Wide Drum sander. It would of course have to be in mint, or as close as possible condition.

Not sure the year or the model, but I remember my Dad had this enormous cast iron bed, legged lathe from Rockwell when I was a kid. But then again, a new mustard monster would be fine too...

A Saw Stop 3HP PCS sold in good shape for a price I can afford would be in that quest too!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Do you have a "quest machine" or tool
    I really, really, really want a WWII German Tiger tank....

I'd settle for a decent 14" bandsaw @ a resonable price though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    I know this is going to sound odd to a lot of you, but a Ryobi WDS1600 Cantilevered Wide Drum sander. It would of course have to be in mint, or as close as possible condition.

!
    Any reason you want the Ryobi over a Performax or Jet cousins?

A delta Unidrill (like hen's teeth), and a grey Delta 14" bandsaw from the 40s or 50s. The bandsaw should be doable, eventually, but the unidrill is not the easiest item to find in ATL.

Best spindle sander ever, Kindt collins with all the spindles and throat plates- and less than 3K Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Best spindle sander ever, Kindt collins with all the spindles and throat plates- and less than 3K Dave

It that the one with the lighted periscope angle gauge? Here I thought you would say 381 instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Any reason you want the Ryobi over a Performax or Jet cousins?
    Nope. I'd take one of those too... Kind of figure the Ryobi would be more likely to be in my price range... From what I can tell the WDS1600 is just a Performax 16/32 with a different label and paint... I must admit, I'm cheap, I need to get this in as inexpensively as I can...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    From what I can tell the WDS1600 is just a Performax 16/32 with a different label and paint...
    No. There are definitely similarities but it's not just a relabel.