Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a "quest machine" or tool

Do you have a "quest machine" or tool

First, I imagine most of you know or can figure out what a quest machine is but just in case, a quest machine is one you really want and have been searching for. Generally it would be a used machine since if you can buy it new it is just a quest for the money, since the machine can be easily found.

So what is your quest machine? What machine is the center of your Craig's List universe.

Many of you might think mine is a bandsaw and you would be correct, however it is doubtful you would guess it. It isn't a Yates American Y36 Snowflake, nor a Tannewitz GH, not even an Oliver 115. My quest machine is an aluminum framed Canadian "mini" saw that weighs in at a healthy 125#! It is the Beaver 3300. It has machine turned aluminum wheel which are smooth in the center and the upper and lower doors have a cut out where you can see the wheels spin. The saw has many nice little details even some small ones left over from the Art Deco machine days. They aren't extremely rare (in Canada and the Northern parts of the US, though I rarely see them in the South) and don't command a premium but I want one! When I actually get around to the true serach, hopefully later this year, I doubt I will have much problem finding one and they can be easily transported in a car trunk so distance isn't a big issue.

If I had the room and money there are probably a dozen bandsaws I would like to have besides the ones I own now but when I get my Beaver I will feel complete on the bandsaw front.

Below are examples of the little Beaver 3300 14" saw:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot....aspx?id=12072

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot....aspx?id=13443

I often wonder when I get the 3300 if I will feel compelled to get its little brother the 12" 2300

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot...l.aspx?id=8553

So what machine is your quest? For those that don't have a quest machine do you have a quest tool?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Mine is a bandsaw too, but an italian one, either MM or Laguna and I want 16 or 18". I can buy new but a LT16HD here costs $4k (outch) but MM16 is $2900.
    So Van, given that I'm here up north, how about the following trade: I find one of those you like, you pay for it and I will ship it to you and you find me a good Italian BS
    and I pay for it and you ship it to me. That we we both solve our problems

Mine is a Northfield 12 inch Medium duty Jointer. I'm looking for the 12 inch width but not the long tables since shop space is tight. The Northfield is the best of both worlds.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Mine is a bandsaw too, but an italian one, either MM or Laguna and I want 16 or 18". I can buy new but a LT16HD here costs $4k (outch) but MM16 is $2900.
    So Van, given that I'm here up north, how about the following trade: I find one of those you like, you pay for it and I will ship it to you and you find me a good Italian BS
    and I pay for it and you ship it to me. That we we both solve our problems
    Van, ignore the above post, he's from much farther away than me, I'll make you the same deal and save you some money on shipping.

Regards, Rod.

Mreza, that is also a fair approach, seraching for a specific used machine even if it can be bought new if you are not willing to pay the new price.

When I first started reading your proposal I thought you were going to propose you send me a Beaver 3300 and I send you my MM20...

To be honest where I am at the newer Italians are few and far between also, the ones with a little age and before the taller resaw machines started to hit the shores do come up but they don't have the resaw height and the HP we so covet!

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

An old iron, aircraft carrier jointer. that Northfield mentioned above looks pretty good too!

After seeing the wheels in the pics of Van's post I'm off to my shop to see if I can put hubcaps on my Delta's wheels! Cool looking little machine.

I was questing for a bandsaw and jointer but bought those new thanks to MS cashback a few years back. I then went on the hunt for a larger DC. Willing to spend a few hundred on it. I landed an Onieda component system for $125 at auction with lots of ductwork and elbows (most too small). I'm currently prowling about for a WS3000 and/or Makita 9820 Sharpener (for jointer blades), a Sawstop TS (I can afford to wait for the right price as my current saw works perfectly fine), and gear reduction wheels for a '64 Gravely tractor. Oops, sorry that's not a woodworking tool.

Oliver 12 for the price of a 166, although the Martin T52 on WoodWeb is about as quest as a jointer gets. A short stroke Felder KF7 compact from the late 1990s or a Knapp kfs 1500 saw shaper would work for a backup combo. Dave

Those Eager Beavers look like nice little saws. If I had one, and some extra dinero, I would think about a micro v belt, 3 phase motor with vfd, and an inca style base. I'd resist the temptation to get a resaw king blade.

Van, I’m starting to think you are the Jay Leno of bandsaws!

My first quest is for a larger shop that I could fit my second quest into... I have dreamed of having a nice surface grinder in the shop. There’s a nice little Brown & Sharpe with an 8”x14” mag table that pops up on CL every few months. If I only had the room..

I understand your quest for the Beaver 3300, that is one cool looking machine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Mreza, that is also a fair approach, seraching for a specific used machine even if it can be bought new if you are not willing to pay the new price.

When I first started reading your proposal I thought you were going to propose you send me a Beaver 3300 and I send you my MM20...

To be honest where I am at the newer Italians are few and far between also, the ones with a little age and before the taller resaw machines started to hit the shores do come up but they don't have the resaw height and the HP we so covet!
    I know, I was in Chicago last year (for 1 year) and kept looking but nothing came up that interested me.
    My problem is, the longer I wait the bigger I want it to be. First I was thinking of getting a (new) LT16-3000. After seeing one up close and next to a LT16-HD I said
    if want to buy one it's going to be LT16-HD. Now I am thinking about an 18".

Rod: I disagree, Edmonton is certainly closer to LA than Toronto.

Van, I won't even ask why you want THAT band saw... because it doesn't really matter.

Honestly, I have pretty much want I want/need. Not that it is all the best stuff by any means, but good enough for me. That said, there is one thing I would LOVE to have, but is unlikely to happen anytime soon...a Byrd head for my 20" planer. And there is one thing that I am looking for, but just can't seem to find used...a Woodpecker's Sidewinder Router Lift. They just don't seem to pop up used...
    I drink, therefore I am.

8" jointer. I'll keep my 6" but an 8" would be really nice for face jointing. I kick myself for passing on a really nice Powermatic a year go but I wasn't quite ready. Also missed out on a lightly used Grizzly when I was out of town on vacation recently. Damn the LOML that insisted on a little R and R! Sorry, gotta go check CL........
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Mine is a Northfield 12 inch Medium duty Jointer. I'm looking for the 12 inch width but not the long tables since shop space is tight. The Northfield is the best of both worlds.
    I actually have looked at a couple of Northfield MD 12" jointers recently. Very nice bed length at 74". Interestingly, as I assume you know, the Medium Duty used to be called the Light Duty until the late 40s and they changed the name, from a hobbyist point of view there is nothing light nor medium duty about them.