Thread: Old Delta 14" Bandsaw; Any Recommendations on Collecting Dust?

Old Delta 14" Bandsaw; Any Recommendations on Collecting Dust?

I have an old Delta 14" bandsaw with no original dust collection attaching connection. Has anyone retrofitted a connection. I can go to a shop vac or a 4" dost collector. I'd prefer to go to the dust collector, it's quieter.

Thanks,
    Ted

It depends on how old, if it was mine and about 1960 or newer I would not hesitate to punch a 4" hole in the bottom of the lower door (I've done two this way and don't feel the least bit guilty). If it is between 1945 and 1960 or so I'd hesitate to punch it if it is minty otherwise I'd have at it. If the saw is pre-war I would leave it intact and figure something else out.

I just finished restoring a mint 1937 Delta 768 10" bandsaw and there was no way in heck I was going to make any extra holes in that one.

There are several versions for Delta band saw dust collection over at Vintage machinery.com. A few have managed to create a collection system without damaging the machine. It can be done with some creative thought.

John said, "I just finished restoring a mint 1937 Delta 768 10" bandsaw" those things are so cool looking, I need one!

Jeff

John said, "I just finished restoring a mint 1937 Delta 768 10" bandsaw" those things are so cool looking, I need one!

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Just because...

IMG_0869.jpg

Ted,

I have a ~15 yr old Delta 14"and saw and made

the following mods for a 4" port under the table. The dust collection improvement is huge. I believe there are little mechanical changes to older Deltas, so this may be of interest.....
    Dust Ports 1.jpgDust Ports 2.jpgDust Ports 3.jpg

I have additional details and sketches here: https://picasaweb.google.com/dmshops...ionForDelta14#
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-22-2012 at 9:15 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Wood Magazine had a "Top Tip" (mine) a couple years back on DC for 14" band saw. NO CUTTING of the saw. Uses blast gate bracket from Rockler and a couple pieces of sewer pipe fittings.

Thanks, gents. I like the tear drop shaped collector. I'm not sure of the age of my machine but it has been mod'd by a previous owner.