Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ventilation HELP!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Ventilation HELP!!!!

Okay Guys so this is my first post on this forum so excuse the Newbie here, Anyways.

I am looking into getting my first laser system (Epilog Zing 16) for a starting out home business laser and i do live in Alaska, So i have a problem with the venting.
    In the summertime i am fine with venting to the outside from my room through just cracking the window and running my 4" Hose outside to my fan but i am trying to figure out what i can do in the winter time without letting all the heat out!! I do rent the house with my wife and another couple so i am not about to ask my landlord if i can drill a 4.25" hole in his wall, so my question to you guys\girls is how the heck can i work in the winter (7 Months) without lettin all the heat out into the -30F/-40F weather and also if you have any pointers on the a specific fan that would be awesome its going to require a minimum of 400cfm at 6" static pressure Thanks a bunch folks!!!!

Jared

Welcome to SMC. There have been a good number of threads devoted to this topic so a search of the archives will provide some options for you. One option is a filtering system which would permit you to operate without venting outside.

Trotec offers such a system and there is another brand which does not come to mind. There is also a fairly recent thread on building your own system.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I cut a piece of plywood about 6 inches thick and the width of my window. Drilled my 4 inch hole and attached my hose. I would suggest putting a blast gate in to keep the cold wind from coming through as well. Placed it into the seal and closed the window on top of it. I then put a tape seal around the entire piece to make sure it was sealed. You can use any type of insulated materal to perform the same job.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

My setup is similar to Mikes's but I used 1/4" Acrylic. Removed the screen, opened the window and insert the acrylic
    with 4" hole. Put in a dryer vent and sealed it with silicone, attached the hose and put duct tape around the edges to seal them. Easily removed later with no damage to the house.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

You GOTTA get a filter...otherwise, you'll freeze your aaaankles off in the winter! You'll be hard pressed to exhaust outside even with temps in the teens. Also make sure your laser exhaust isn't pulling return air from a flue (wood burning stove or furnace). Good luck!
    Universal PLS 6.75 75 watt
    Trotec Speedy 300 60 watt

well

THANKS GUYS. Well it sounds like I may have trouble with pulling the cold air in from somewhere else like the door seal I may be better off just getting a small insulated storage shed and deal with a small heater

Blog Entries
    Was my filter not adequate for your needs?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Not at all Dan I just figure that I have roommates that are pretty "picky" as far as noise in the house so I haclve decided to build a small shop for my sanity although this may save me from losing all my heat if I go with you route that way I don't have to suck cold air in from anywhere. May I remind everyone that at -50°F it doesn't take much to kick that thermostat on and the electric company hits the jackpot ( my wallet) thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Gaylord View Post
    Not at all Dan I just figure that I have roommates that are pretty "picky" as far as noise in the house so I haclve decided to build a small shop for my sanity although this may save me from losing all my heat if I go with you route that way I don't have to suck cold air in from anywhere. May I remind everyone that at -50°F it doesn't take much to kick that thermostat on and the electric company hits the jackpot ( my wallet) thanks.

Just want to make sure that you are aware that lasers don't like being operated or stored in cold weather so if you build a shed you will have to keep it warm all the time, not just when you are using it, and you will still have the problem of having the heat sucked out of the shed by the exhaust.
    The manual for my Universals says they shouldn't be run or stored below 50 degrees F
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Hmmm

Thanks for the pointer Joe. I am aware that cold is a no go and I am still trying to figure out a way to heat it without going broke!

I think your best bet would be to build an activated carbon filter and run it when your roommates aren't home so noise isn't a problem. Right now I am building a filter for mine because I am sick of knowing that heat is being sucked out of my building as fast as my furnace can pump it back in.

Could you also build a semi sound proof room in the house? Maybe in the basement It would be cheaper than build a shed and heating the shed.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

13. I live in alaska also, I rent and I put the machine in a room and opened a window and cut a thick board to fit in the window space and cut out a 4" hole in the wood for the vent, it has worked great at -20 and when we leave I will simply pull out the board and close the window, no harm done

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Gaylord View Post
    Okay Guys so this is my first post on this forum so excuse the Newbie here, Anyways.

I am looking into getting my first laser system (Epilog Zing 16) for a starting out home business laser and i do live in Alaska, So i have a problem with the venting.
    In the summertime i am fine with venting to the outside from my room through just cracking the window and running my 4" Hose outside to my fan but i am trying to figure out what i can do in the winter time without letting all the heat out!! I do rent the house with my wife and another couple so i am not about to ask my landlord if i can drill a 4.25" hole in his wall, so my question to you guys\girls is how the heck can i work in the winter (7 Months) without lettin all the heat out into the -30F/-40F weather and also if you have any pointers on the a specific fan that would be awesome its going to require a minimum of 400cfm at 6" static pressure Thanks a bunch folks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey Maxwell View Post
    I live in alaska also, I rent and I put the machine in a room and opened a window and cut a thick board to fit in the window space and cut out a 4" hole in the wood for the vent, it has worked great at -20 and when we leave I will simply pull out the board and close the window, no harm done

What type of blower are you using on your vent, how many hours a day do you run it, and how much is your heat bill?

Hans (35 watt YAG)

15. its only a 3/4hp fan, i can use it up to 8 hours a day here and there, the heat bill is the same because I don't heat this room, it stays cool and I close the door when I'm using the fan. If im going to be working in there I open the heat vent and let it warm up then close it before I start, with the door closed I don't get much if any heat loss from the house, just the room.