I managed to score one of the $57 13" planers from the Borg last week. The thing has obviously been their store demo for years and is covered in a thick layer of greasy, oily dust. It's in terrible need of a cleaning. Obviously, just cleaning the oily dust off the chassis of the machine is a no-brainer but I'm a little conflicted about how to handle the lift assembly. There's columns at the 4 corners and a threaded rod to run the carriage up and down on the center of each side. These two are covered in what feels like a Cosmoline and dust paste. I'm planning on cleaning them all with mineral spirits but what to do after that is stumping me. Ordinarily, I'd coat the uprights and the threaded lifts with Super Lube and call it done. However, I assume this would cake up with sawdust before the first board made it out the backside of the unit. I'm guessing I need to use some kind of a dry-film lubricant in order to prevent damage to the moving parts from dust incorporating into the lubricant. Should I use LPS1? Tri-Flow? Something else?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.