So the (mostly) general consensus to my previous topic/question seemed to be that a jointer would be the best tool to add to my collection. However, I have a few questions I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on:

1. It seems like everyone recommends a 8” version if I can afford it; how often do you all joint boards wider than 6”?

2. There seems to be mixed feelings on spiralhead cutters – some think them a great investment and others think them to be a waste of money. If I’m getting things correctly, the advantages are durability, cut quality, and noise level… correct?

3. It was suggested to me to think about jointer/planer combination machines. While you gain jointer capacity, you lose (some) planer capacity and infeed/outfeed table size. What’s the greater tradeoff?

4. It seems like you can reasonably manage the functions of a jointer by creating sleds for the planer and table saw to mimic the face and edge jointing capabilities of the jointer. What are everyone’s thoughts on that solution?

I appreciate everyone’s time and opinion on these items.

Thanks much!