Thread: Super Dust Collection Idea

Super Dust Collection Idea

What if I took the 2 hp HF model dust collector that is rated for 1550 cfm and attached a 10 foot 4 inch dust collection hose to it. I would then attach the other end of the 4 inch hose to the ductwork of my forced air furnace. Then I would get some flexible chimney cleaning brushes with extension rods and insert the cleaning end into the heat ducts of my house to dry scrub the ductwork. I would have around $250 into the system and would be able to keep the equipment afterwards. I would think this would be comparable to what a duct cleaning business would charge for cleaning my ductwork for me.

Do you think it would work?

Anyone had their HVAC ductwork professionally cleaned? Any pros or cons? Price? Results?

It is hard to believe that an entire day has passed without comment. This alone should give you pause to reconsider the Hiroshima you are proposing.

David, if this do not work properly , you could have dust all over your house

I use brushes and a power blower to clean the LINT out of my dryer vent but the dryer vent is small

Hi, with a 4 inch flex hose you'll be lucky if you get 400 CFM, that will be about zip airflow in a duct as large as a return duct.

You'll be better with a vacuum and brush............Rod

Yeah, that won't do anything at all. You'll only be able to work within a couple feet of the end of the hose to have it pick up anything. You will certainly not move any air through the regular ductwork. A shop vac will do better. Those commercial trucks are pulling some serious CFMs.

You can use that setup to get a tennis ball out of a dryer duct.

Don't ask....
    Rick Potter

I think the combination of the blower and the chimney brushes would work pretty well.

buy an industrial cyclone and the brushes then you talkin'

not sure if it will work or not but interested in the results. Just be careful of dust explosions
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Why bother? Are your conditioned air ducts dirty, or just the return lines? Anything in the return lines will pass through the filter before going into the house. Everything I've read about duct cleaning that isn't generated by duct cleaning companies says that it is a waste of money at best and a scam at worst.