Thread: Interesting Wardrobe Details

Interesting Wardrobe Details

http://www.philamuseum.org/collectio...?mulR=3105|101

I was surfing some museum websites on my lunch break looking for whatever happens to catch my eye and I found this English wardrobe. It's overall very square and simple, but the small contours in the stiles of the large doors really punch above their weight, so to speak, in terms of what they contribute to the piece. Likewise with the carvings on the small doors. They're quite simple and minimal but do a lot to turn the piece from a assemblage of flat boards into something with appeal.

Or at least that's what it does for me.

Nice details there. First thing that came to mind was "what a clever way to incorporate and disguise, at the same time, wane into your project"!

That's a very nice way to sign your pieces.

Yeah, I love it! Proportions are wonderful. Bread board ends on the little upper doors?
    Only thing I don't like is the detailing at the top of the panels/stiles of the 2 outside doors. Just doesn't add any interest to my way of seeing.
    I don't understand your quote Todd - I hope that you weren't referring to what I like least .

Great piece - no matter.

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

What struck me as looking like wane (at first sight) was the chamfer detail on the insides of the stiles on the outer large doors. I've had wood chip out in that same pattern before. After I looked at it longer (which means .1 seconds later...), I realized it was purposeful in design.

I like the detail on the two top small doors the best.

Thanks for the link. This is indeed an interesting piece of furniture. I like those details on the doors.

As a teaser, here's a WIP shot of a model of it I'm working on. Still need to detail the middle doors, knobs and the tops of the posts.