Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: building a paint rack

building a paint rack

guys, i want to build one of these with some 2x4's and some aluminum rods for home depot. how do i go about bending them?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesn't look as pretty but I built this one out of PVC pipe. It knocks down for easy storage. I used a stepped drill to cut the holes - anything else gets your attention or tries to break your wrist.

Mike

i like it mike, but the genius of the door rack painter is that the ends are curved downwards so that there's minimal contact with the finished door and enables you to finish BOTH sides at the same time. here's a video that explains the idea better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4uK4-OFJ_4

That looks cool but almost looks like a two man job to adjust the rods. Depending on the size of you job and ambient condiyions I have found in most cases by the time I coat the last object the first is dry enough to coat the reverse side.

Mike

those are nice doors btw. what project were they for?

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    guys, i want to build one of these with some 2x4's and some aluminum rods for home depot. how do i go about bending them?
    If you buy your 2X4s from Home Depot, you won't have to worry about bending them.

A solution to finish all sides of a door at once is intriguing, but with that rack, I smell 6 marks on the doors. 4 from the rods on the back arrises and 2 from carrying it across the room from the spray area to the drying rack. Maybe I'm too picky.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    those are nice doors btw. what project were they for?
    I have a day job but remodeled our kitchen. Those are a few of the 70 some raised panels I needed to make. It would be nice as a hobbyist to have had this project years ago. I learned so much from just having to do it and not think about it too much.

Mike

in the video, they recommend using 80 grit sand paper held at an angle to prevent marking up the door and the whole reason for the bent rods is to have minimal contact points with the door. the other method would be to spray vertically using eye hooks but i had a pretty bad experience recently trying to spray a plantation shutter vertically...

i'm making several raised panel doors/drawer fronts for the master bathroom vanity and it's not like you can just whip these things up that quickly! there are so many processes that i wonder how the pro's do it consistently and on a much larger scale.

Thinking out loud (dangerous), why not notch 2x4's and slide shim stock into the notches with small screws thru the shims to hold the doors up on the screw points. Wouldn't be any bigger mark on the doors than what that paint rack would seem to leave and would likely be cheaper.

rick, with my luck i'd probably step on them sometime when i'm just walking around in my slippers or bare feet. i got tired of scratching my head trying to figure out how to drill holes through a metal pipe and bending the aluminum rods so i went ahead and ordered the paint rack and i'll build a smaller unit for the actual spraying. i'll let you guys know how it works out...

When I was watching the paint rack video, all I could think about was my being clumsy, and one small bump to that rack, and watching a tall stack of totally wet cabinet doors go folding to the floor, accordion (or domino) style.

I hope it works out for you. It would be good to hear a review from a trusted source! For the record... I predict 6 noticeable touch marks.

it'll be a great place to hang the clothes if it doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    If you buy your 2X4s from Home Depot, you won't have to worry about bending them.
    rofl i just got it