Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Identifying a GOOD, used radial arm saw

1. Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum so I can get in on this discussion. A lot of good info. I run a small shop producing turnings for local millwork projects. I make all my own hardwood blanks which are often 6" sq. I took a look at a 16" Original that looked good to me but I only tried a couple cuts with it. I am wondering what models would be good to look at if I want something that is 16"-20" and 3ph is available? Also, what problems to look out for.

Myk, I can't believe how good the AMF looks but I love most things old. We are building a new shop and it is going to be all galvanized siding with fir frame windows. Also our delivery truck is going to be a 1958 White 3000. Your avatar looks like it could be a tattoo...where did you put it?

Thanks!

What do you guys think of something like this? I think the price is ridiculous...he's been reposting this everyday for a while.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/2870332992.html
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-26-2012 at 8:55 AM.

Question: if I buy something with a large arbor, is there some sort of adapter I can get to step that down to 5/8"?

Also, are any of the older Craftsman any good? That's most of what shows up in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Grothouse View Post
    DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT buy one of the ones with the CONCAVE bearings, they are no longer available and you will never be able to resell it.
    What do you mean by concave bearings? Is there a simple way of checking for this without taking the saw apart? I'm assuming that a concave bearing is like a screen door bearing.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-26-2012 at 9:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    What do you guys think of something like this? I think the price is ridiculous...he's been reposting this everyday for a while.
    Got a Linky?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-26-2012 at 8:58 AM.

Have a blade rebored or buy a blade directly from Forest and they will do it for you. They bored my dado set for the MiniMax to 1 1/4" for a minimal charge.

Larry

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/2870332992.html
    For that much you can buy a used OMGA.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    For that much you can buy a used OMGA.

Larry
    Here's the one I'm really after. It's been a couple of weeks so it's probably gone, but we'll see.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/2791882684.html

Way too much $$$, John, IMHO.

The second pic I posted was for the MBF (What you're looking at in that CL ad) that I bought. Excellent shape. Paid the asking -- hundred bucks.

I didn't leave 55 year old motor bearings in place. Didn't leave electrical cords or wiring in place, either. These things tend to rot, and grease tends to die a slow painful death. If it's 50+ years old, and didn't HAVE work, it almost surely needs SOME work.

Fully restored ... maybe $250.

If you really want it, well ... then that's totally up to you ... but that price seems verrrrrry high, to me.

Good luck !
    Last edited by Neil Brooks; 02-26-2012 at 9:45 AM.
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Here's the one I'm really after. It's been a couple of weeks so it's probably gone, but we'll see.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/2791882684.html

Hey, I just got an e-mail. It's still available. Should I go for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Way too much $$$, John, IMHO.

The second pic I posted was for the MBF (What you're looking at in that CL ad) that I bought. Excellent shape. Paid the asking -- hundred bucks.

I didn't leave 55 year old motor bearings in place. Didn't leave electrical cords or wiring in place, either. These things tend to rot, and grease tends to die a slow painful death. If it's 50+ years old, and didn't HAVE work, it almost surely needs SOME work.

Fully restored ... maybe $250.

If you really want it, well ... then that's totally up to you ... but that price seems verrrrrry high, to me.

Good luck !
    Which was way too much? The first one or the second one? I know the first one was ridiculous.

Which was way too much? The first one or the second one? I know the first one was ridiculous.
    Sorry. I think I missed one.

I think THIS one is way too much $$$: "DEWALT VINTAGE RADIAL ARM SAW - $250 (SHELTON, CT)"

I still might call the owner of that GA. He either wants what he wants, or .... has no idea that he's about 3-4x market value on his asking price.

If I could get that GA for something like $4-500 ... I'd probably buy them all day long.

Worth a call ... if you like the saw. It's BEEFY