Thread: A Couple of Elm pieces

A Couple of Elm pieces

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a couple 4' link belts from my local Woodcraft (they were on sale). Picked them up on Saturday and on Tuesday I installed the spindle belt 1st (the longest one). Had to steal some length from the 2nd belt, but got it installed. Then of course when I went to install the shorter drive belt, I didn't have enough left . But even with only one belt installed I noticed a difference. Even though the drive belt was pretty loose, I still had more torque than with the 2 standard v-belts.

I mounted up a chunk of Elm that Doug Swanson sent me a month or so ago (Thanks again Doug!) and turned this bowl. It was very nice to be able to take a decent cut and not stall the lathe .
    Doesn't show well in the pics, but it's almost a bronze color and I like it! Turned green so it's already started moving. It's 9" x 3 1/2" finished in walnut oil. Turned it fairly thick because, well because I wanted to and it will be more of a utility bowl.
    PICT0014-2.JPGPICT0012-1.JPGPICT0015-2.JPG

Wednesday after work I ran down to Woodcraft to pick up another belt, got it installed and it's even better with both link belts installed. For anyone thinking about upgrading to link belts, I would definitely recommend it. It's also nice to be able to change belts without having to take the spindle out.
    After I installed the 2nd belt, I found a thin slab of chinese elm that I had buried under a pile of shavings after I had chainsawed a bunch of blanks. So I mounted it up and turned this platter/shallow bowl. I was a happy camper, no teeny tiny cuts, no bogging down, it was almost like turning on a new lathe.
    The color of this chinese elm is more of a pinkish, orange. It's 11" x 1 3/4" finished in danish oil. Something kept telling me to leave this one fairly thick too, so I did. It's got a little bit of heft to it, but it feels good.
    PICT0002.JPGPICT0001.JPGPICT0003.JPG
    This weekend I'm going to really put the belts to the test and try coring some mesquite bowls.

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy, glad your lathe modifications are working themselves out. As someone who is in desperate need of an upgrade, I can only imagine that extra torque feels good.

I have never turned any Elm, but that bowl is making me glad I picked up a few chunks of bone dry Elm a few months back. Hope it doesn't do too much moving on you. I'm digging that plate, also. The accents you did on the rim keep it simple but give it that small amount of detail to bring it together. Good luck on your coring. If I didn't already feel bad for that poor lathe of yours, I do now.

Kathy, at the rate you turn, I hope those belts have Kevlar in them!! Nice work on the bowls. I particularly like the platter/bowl, and I wonder what adding a little detail to the back side would do - similar to the rim detailing.

Liking the wood and especially the shallow bowl.

I'm a big fan of the link belts, they really smooth out the vibrations of equipment and run quieter.

Great work, Kathy! That Elm looks nice. I have a few pieces in my garage so maybe I'll have to give it a try!

I really like the edge treatment on the platter/bowl. Simple but classy!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Some very pretty wood Kathy and I love the platter, both the wood and your treatment of it.

Really nice piece out of some pretty wood. Glad everything is working for you.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like both of these, the bowl shape looks well suited to actual use too, as I expect is intent.
    I've got 2 different varieties of elm, neither has the nice contrast in sapwood/heartwood of this one.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Nice Kathy.... you always come up with the most beautiful wood, forms are nice and the pictures are great,,, thanks again...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589

Kathy --- Nice job, especially the platter. I would expect both pieces to move quite a bit, at least that has been my experience with elm. Pretty wood though. Really nice rim treatment on the platter. Must make sanding that part interesting.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Redundant, I know but the platter is "the one". The bowl is very nice but the rim on the platter is a cut above...
    David DeCristoforo

Very nice work on both Kathy! Glad your link belts work so well. I have them on severl different machines. Smoother and quieter. When I was repowering my early 70's Delta Rockwell almost two years ago, I asked about the link belts but was advised against using them on a Reeves drive so never did put one on.

Nice work on both pieces Kathy! I especially like the platter styled one! Love the grain in these! Happy to hear that your belt upgrade was worth the expense and effort! Enjoy you new lathe!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!