Thread: Mesquite gloat

Mesquite gloat

My wife called me at lunch. She saw someone had cut a limb off of a mesquite tree a few blocks away. She asked and they said that we could have it. I got 2 pieces about 11" dia. and 2 + ft long and 5 smaller pieces about 6" dia. They had been laying for a few days but haven't checked too badly yet. I don't have any sealer since I havent turned green before. Will latex house paint work OK in a pinch? If I remember correctly, I can turn mesquite green with out it cracking later as it dries. Correct?
    Deane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

2. use several coats of latex paint if that is all you have, and then go ahead and order some anchorseal.........re-coat when you get it..........2 or 3 coats to help prevent any further checking.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Don't know about mesquite, but if you do get some anchor seal, ask for the original formula, not the newer one.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

free mesquite, gloat gloat gloat

Wanna share with a fellow South Texan.......no need to seal, just cut and put in brown HEB bags until u r ready to use it.

Deane, you can turn green mesquite to finish size and it won't crack on you. Just get lighter and lighter. Love the stuff.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Deane I agree with Tom. I turn mesquite to finish size and it very stable. I have turned several bowls from green to finish with no problems.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree that turning green to finish is OK, but the wood should be sealed (or bagged) if it is not going to be used soon. Some of the pieces show some internal checks that are found in a lot of Mesquite and one of the big reasons for all the epoxy or other filling and they will likely get bigger if left to dry without sealing. You got some good wood there and should end up with several nice pieces.

Nice gloat!
    I agree with Tom. Mesquite is very stable when turned, but in raw form it will check and crack if not sealed. I've never had a turned piece crack, but I've got lots of logs with cracks even after sealing. Cutting the logs up into blanks without the pith would also help fight cracking.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I've only turned one piece of mesquite and loved it, but store tons of wood in plastic bags until I or my students can turn it. It may mold if you wait more than a few weeks to turn it but the mold is just on the surface and turns away. I simply can't afford anchor seal for all the wood my students go through so I started storing burls and bowl blanks I cut out for them in large garbage bags. I've keep some pieces for 6 months or more with zero cracks or checks. Keep the bags sealed up and they can be used over and over again. If I get logs I simply cover them with a tarp and cut of 4 inches each time I cut them into blanks. I have keep logs in this form for 3 years before the outer section starts to get to soft. It is a cheap and reliable way of preventing your wood from becoming fire wood.
    Jack

Congrats on the wood! You may have already coated the ends but it might be helpful to trim off the end cracks before coating. Otherwise, they will just keep on going.

Deane - congrats on all that Mesquite! You should have a lot of fun turning it!

Latex paint can work temporarily but remember that it is a water-based paint and when the paint dries, so does the wood under it and it will crack. I have had much better luck using plastic garbage bags for temp storage. Keeps all the moisture in the wood until you are ready to turn it.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!