Thread: Question on Link belts

Question on Link belts

I've been thinking about those link belts lately for my bandsaw and lathe. I'm pretty sure the bandsaw is a no brainer, but can I put one on my lathe too? I have a jet 1642 EVS and a Rikon 14" bandsaw...

any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeff

I use the link belt on my treadle lathe and it has a lot of traction with no slipping. I used it on an electric lath before that with not slipping. I think they are very good belts. You just have to make sure that they fit in the pulleys as a belt should. For me I would use one if it fits the pulleys good. I think they will last longer then most belt that are used and with little ware on them.

Cecil

Jeff - I have been using a link belt on my Jet 14" bandsaw for years and it is still holding up strong. I don't understand the reasoning for a link belt on your Jet 1642.... your Jet doesn't use a pulley like on the bandsaw and requires a special belt.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have used them for many years on bandsaws, tablesaw, 2 lathes, and I watch for them to be placed on sale at Woodcraft so that I have a supply in stock when needed. I am known to be phrugal, but one of their biggest assets is not needing to disassemble a machine to replace the broken belt.

Can these belts be used in the reeves drive on my Jet 1442?

John
    John Altberg

Ran one on my old Delta 450 with mechanical reeves drive. It actually had one regular belt and on link. No problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Altberg View Post
    Can these belts be used in the reeves drive on my Jet 1442?

John
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely get one for the bandsaw...As for the lathe...Steve, I don't really have a reason as to why I was asking. Just curious if it would improve the performance...Not that there are any issues with it, but thought if I could get more out of it with a new belt, why not?! But now that you mention it, the pulley is different which is why I was wondering if the link belt would work, or if I shouldn't bother with it...??

It looks like your Jet 1642 has a serpentine belt, I've always considered them better than V pulleys or link belts. Also the pulleys probably wouldn't even work with a V-belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Winder View Post
    It looks like your Jet 1642 has a serpentine belt, I've always considered them better than V pulleys or link belts. Also the pulleys probably wouldn't even work with a V-belt.
    what is the different between serpentine belts and V belts

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    what is the different between serpentine belts and V belts
    The serpentine belt is probably flat and may use both sides of the belt. It turns flat pulleys or idlers. The v belt is shaped like a V or wedge if you were to look at it from a cross section. It turns grooved pulleys.
    "a noble spirit embiggins the smallest man"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Campbell KS View Post
    The serpentine belt is probably flat and may use both sides of the belt. It turns flat pulleys or idlers. The v belt is shaped like a V or wedge if you were to look at it from a cross section. It turns grooved pulleys.
    now I got to inspect the belt on mine truck to see whehter it is a serpentine or V belt

The Jet 1642 has a micro-v belt not a serpentine belt.

Okay, looks like I'm now confused! The belt on the Jet lathe and on the Rikon bandsaw look very similar as do the pulleys. the pulleys have a number of grooves in them and it appears that the belts are flat. So having said that, would the v-link belts work in either of these machines, or both, or neither? Sounds like I really don't need it for the lathe, but that it would benefit the bandsaw...Just don't want to go spend 30 bucks on one if it won't work so I figured I'd see what the pros thought.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff, when I was shopping for band saws last fall, I noticed the Rikon 14" had a flat drive belt. If yours is set up this way, I don't think a link belt will fit, but I don't really know much about link belts except that they're expensive and everyone likes them better than v-belts.