Thread: Moving- Tool Rust Protection/Packing/Storage

Moving- Tool Rust Protection/Packing/Storage

So I got a new job and will be relocating closer to family in Fort Worth. I have some larger tools I need to prep for sitting in storage 3-4 months:

634Z 12" jointer
    Sawstop ICS
    G0513X2 bandsaw

What are the best methods for preventing rust, just wax the heck out of the tops?

Also, for all of my hand tools/chisels/carving/planes, I bought 8 40g desiccant packs to put in the boxes with them. They say for up to 3 cubic foot spaces. Should I double up on those? Or would one per 1-2 cu ft box be enough? I am probably overkilling, but better safe than sorry.

As for my heavy tools, I think breaking them down as far as reasonably possible and putting them on pallets would be easiest. The bandsaw is the main one that has be worried.

Excited, nervous, anxious.... lots of stuff to consider.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

good luck with the move, if will cost you a lot to store your tools so you can sent them to me and I will keep the rust away from your tools --wait a minute , too much work for me

Consider coating any ground tables with a thin layer of any M/P grease

You probably have the right stuff on your finishing shelf: boiled linseed oil. I use it on all ferrous metal surfaces down here in Florida, just pad on and wipe off the excess.

- Beachside Hank

If you want coverage approved by the US Army, try Cosmoline.
    This stuff works. A couple dessicant packs inside any enclosed space will help, too.

Lastly, store the machines over a vapor barrier, off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    If you want coverage approved by the US Army, try Cosmoline.
    This stuff works. A couple dessicant packs inside any enclosed space will help, too.

Lastly, store the machines over a vapor barrier, off the ground.
    +1 and .... +1 and .... +1.

Good advice, sez' me.
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Blog Entries
    The best thing I know is to use Boeshield T-9. Spray it on heavy and let it dry. It gets thick like cosmoline, bu is 10 times easier to remove. When you get the tools back, spray on more T-9, give it a minute or so and wipe it off. The dried stuff will come right off with the new and you will leave a coating behind that still protects until you can wax it. We used to ship machines with machined cast iron surfaces across the US and to South America using this method and never had a problem.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Working with DOD, I move frequently. I have used all of the recommendations above to fairly good success, but now I use a different and perhaps better method. I scrub the tops and put on the Boeshield to soak in. Then a couple of coats of paste wax. Then, for storage, on goes a thick coating of SlipIt, and finally covered with thin plastic sheeting (taped on), removing as much air as possible. (plastic sheeting is available in the painting area of the big home stores. I also wrap the motors and other parts of each machine. On some tools and wood, the plastic wrap on a roller works great. I have had boxes that have been in storage that still got wet and on the last move, the bottom and side of one of a crate broke. All of the other items in the crate were ruined, but the tools were fine.

Good advice given.

+1 on the Boeshield. I like it. Dont forget internal surfaces (trunions, etc) And a layer of plastic stuck on top to help slow evaporation.

I lived in the Caribbean near the beach for a couple years and the salt air destroyed everything. (I know, a real hardship it was....). Believe it or not, I got one of those vacuum food sealers and vacuum packed all my smaller tools. A squirt of WD-40 in the bag and sucked it down. They stored, transferred (international shipping container), and a couple bags I didnt open for about 3 years - after which were perfectly preserved.