Thread: Probably Overthinking It: Round over drawer box tops?

Probably Overthinking It: Round over drawer box tops?

As noted above, I'm probably overthinking this, but what does everyone do to round over drawer box tops? I was considering pulling out my 1/16" radius round over bit and hitting the tops to make them a bit less sharp. Good idea, or does everyone just scuff them with some 200 grit paper? Thanks!

I always round over the drawer sides. Just seems the right thing to do for me. I like using a round over bit for uniformity. I do a 1/8" or 1/4" on 1/2" drawer sides depending on the look I want.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

The issue with any router bit is the inside corners. Instead of cleaning them up with a chisel or sandpaper, I prefer to just use 150g to break the edges in lieu of the router. This is also less tippy than using a trim router on the edge.

I round them over prior to assembly, But using sandpaper would work fine just to break the edge.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Interesting difference in approach guys.

I did go ahead and break them all over with a sanding sponge and it feels "right" for me. That said I'm still curious as to what the standard is (if any).

I like square edges so I just ease them after assembly with sandpaper.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I would just hit them with sandpaper, it seems to be to be similar to a square edged door casing, just easing the edge enough to get rid of the sharpness and allowing for better application of finish. I have seen them rounded and do not like the look where the sides meet the front and back. But, as always, it is personal preference.

I hit 'em with a sanding block, after assembly, but ... for example ... I'm about to start on a big A&C style dresser with lots of doors and drawers. For this one, I'll almost surely knock 'em down -- before assembly -- with a small-radius roundover (or just a hint of the chamfer) bit.
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lloyd View Post
    I would just hit them with sandpaper, it seems to be to be similar to a square edged door casing, just easing the edge enough to get rid of the sharpness and allowing for better application of finish. I have seen them rounded and do not like the look where the sides meet the front and back. But, as always, it is personal preference.
    I just rounded some over and I agree - I don't like the look where the corners meet. In the future I will ease the edges with sandpaper and not round them over with a router.

I make all my drawer sides 9/16 thick and think they look too thick if the corners are just knocked off.I use a 5/16 round over bit and balancing the router on the edge after assembly I rout all around the inside and the sides and back on the outside. this gives me a bullnosed edge except at the front where I attach a false front.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Just a manner of opinions to me. Non are wrong or right. Whatever ya want.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I typically provide a small roundover with the router. In the past I have installed my bit in my router table and then turned the drawer upside down and run it around so that it stays flat and i don't have to worry about balancing the router.