Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuego

Fuego

This was a recent demo piece that I did It is a fairly small piece at a hair under 4 3/4" buy about 4" and a 1/8" thick. The finish is CA.

Being productive in my turning has been very tough lately as my business has been very good. While that is nice this is generally my most productive time of year for my turning. This year it has not been.

The wood is a piece of mistletoe burled Osage Orange. I had never seen this happen with Osage before but was in North Texas last year and saw some in a tree. The owner of the tree trimmed them out of the tree for me. What is interesting about the piece of wood is that it did not oxidize like oasage usually does. It is just as yellow as it was when it was cut/turned a month ago. Maybe the way the mistletoe reacted with the wood may have something to do with it. But I am not sure.

The resin is red and gold poured together.

This is kind of a dumpy little form but I like it. It is very thin and translucent so I left the opening a bit larger than I normally do. It really does attract people to look inside which was the point.

The photos does not do it justice. When you see it the piece almost looks like it is on fire. So I decided I would name it "Fuego"

Thanks for looking, Cheers and jeers are always welcome.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gorgeous!!! Nice form, makes the most of the wood, especially in the first pic. If you had taken it down any further at the bottom, you would have lost a lot. Great color combination.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Alan, like Dan, I am not sure you could have gone much smaller in the base and still have enough wood. A different form for you, but very attractive, as is the brilliant color of this piece. Nice work!

That is probably some of the nicest wood Ive ever seen Alan... I like the form and I think youve named it succcesfully.. Thanks for showing.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589

The name is very fitting. I really like how the grain of the wood flows with the curves in the resin. Beautiful!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

That dumpy little form looks awesome! It's a beauty. I get the urge to pick it up and hold it up to the light.

I really love your wood and resin combination forms and this is no exception. Would love to learn the technique.

That just can't be beat! Beautiful casting and the form fits is perfectly!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Thanks to everyone,

I really appreciate the compliments. The piece of wood was a little bit of a challenge to work with. Just getting it in the chuck took a bit of pre-casting to make the tenon. The shape is usually dictated by the piece of wood. Or at least that is what determines the shape that I make. It is a little different shape for me But I do like to experiment from time to time. For me trying to keep a piece looking proportional that is essentially square was a little tough. I am working on another piece of osage from the same tree and it oxidized almost immediately to the standard osage brown color. That piece did not have as much mistletoe on it. I used different colors with that piece and it is a bit of a different shape as well, hoping the different colors will work better with the color of the wood. We will see how it turns out.

Again Thanks,

Alan

That's a beauty, Alan! Great color combo!

Really nice piece Alan. Color combo is outstanding.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great colors in this one Alan! Not as fond of the shape as your others but it sounds like you didn't have much choice in the matter. Still a stunning piece of art!

That screams to be lit from within. Very nice casting and turning.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

A well turned piece of gorgeous wood. I just hope that the colors don't fade too much.

15. N I C E wow! very like it lots hope the colour stays as fiery!!!
    Ermmm ............ lots of miles from Mr S very many miles