Thread: benchcrafted moxon vise question

benchcrafted moxon vise question

I dont know how many here have or have had experience with one of these but I was wondering about the level of clamping effectiveness when only the top half of the vise is used ie. when edge planing a board? Does it rack? If so how does it compare in this regard to other twin screws? I am thinking about using it as a front vise when needed as I like the idea of not having anything impeding complete access to the bench (short bench).

Thanks

Hi Sam

A Moxon vise - whether Benchcrafted or shop built - is not for edge jointing boards. It is intended for holding boards that will be dovetailed. As a result, the board clamps vertically (not horizontally), and you work facing it (not alongside it).

Indeed, my preference for edge jointing is a leg vise, which is on my new bench, rather than any twin-screw vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek. I had a feeling this was the case but I just wanted to see if I could get away with it. I might still give it a whirl for its intended purpose alone.

What Derek says. Go for the leg vise, kid. You won't regret it.
    jimkirkpatrick-albums-misc-album-picture7417-a.jpg

Blog Entries
    The screws on the Benchcrafted offering do not have room for anything other than thin pieces. A leg vise is a good option. You might also look up Hovarter Vises, hovartercustomvise.... This is a rather costly bench vise but it is quick release and is capable of holding drawers and larger items. Costly is relative. I consider the Benchcrafted Moxon even more costly because it is designed to do only one job. My reasoning is the Hovarter can do the job of three other vises. Of course one might make a similar argument regarding the leg vise. I think the Hovarter may be the most versatile vise around, although once I buy and install one I am sure I will know more.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-03-2012 at 1:02 AM.

I dunno, given how Peter Folansbee use his double-screw vise, I figure you could adapt the Benchcrafted for jointing if you really tried, but it needs a little help to do so:

http://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/201...-double-screw/

Before I got my vise installed on my benchtop, I used handscrew clamps in a similar fashion. Handscrew clamp, clamped to the table holding the stock upright and reasonably secure, and then planing into a stop to take the brunt of the force.