Thread: Sometimes

Blog Entries

Sometimes

... The real fun is in cleaning up afterwards.

This is from one of my latest projects for which I have high hopes.

Mr. Scrappy.jpg

More later as it progresses.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-23-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You made me chuckle, Jim.. Nice work! <g>
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I love it!

Glue them up on a board, off to eBay with a title like "RUSTIC WOOD ARTWORK" and slap $800 BIN. It's much better than RC wood planes and painted saws.

Oooh - could we have a "Mr. Scrappy" build off? I might actually have the chance of being a contender in that, unlike the the wooden plane one. Seems lately I end up with more scrap than actual project at the end of the day . . .

You could sell those to some of those HORRIBLE "Interior designers" which I have to watch every time I go to a doctor. The Dr's around here invariably have that HDTV channel locked on their office TV.

Yesterday,I spent my customary 1 hour waiting for the big injection I get in my bone on bone knee,and had to watch 3 or 4 of them pile boring furniture,etc. into people's rooms.

One guy knocked the stone off the top of a stone fireplace(a section about 5 feet tall). Then,he nailed a variety of scrap lumber EDGE ON over the top of this fire place. The boards were from old pallets,and what not. They had printing on them,and different colors sprayed here and there!! Beside the fireplace,he nailed and glued a pretty tall dead tree to the wall,for the cat to climb on,and made a very crude dog house beside it.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Wilson!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Wilson!!!!!!!!
    Now why didn't I think of that.

I could have made a picket fence with some of the cutoff scraps to cover the mouth.

Glue them up on a board, off to eBay with a title like "RUSTIC WOOD ARTWORK" and slap $800 BIN.
    Great idea, hope you don't want me to split the profit. I could do the bookkeeping so there are no profits...

Oooh - could we have a "Mr. Scrappy" build off?
    I wouldn't mind this thread turning into the great American scrap off. Otherwise a new thread could be started and we could have different categories like faces, bird houses or whatever.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You could sell those to some of those HORRIBLE "Interior designers" which I have to watch every time I go to a doctor. The Dr's around here invariably have that HDTV channel locked on their office TV.

Yesterday,I spent my customary 1 hour waiting for the big injection I get in my bone on bone knee,and had to watch 3 or 4 of them pile boring furniture,etc. into people's rooms.

One guy knocked the stone off the top of a stone fireplace(a section about 5 feet tall). Then,he nailed a variety of scrap lumber EDGE ON over the top of this fire place. The boards were from old pallets,and what not. They had printing on them,and different colors sprayed here and there!! Beside the fireplace,he nailed and glued a pretty tall dead tree to the wall,for the cat to climb on,and made a very crude dog house beside it.
    I can't stand watching those guys make "furniture" by edge gluing and nail gunning MDF and cheap plywood and covering it with latex paint . . .

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    ,he nailed and glued a pretty tall dead tree to the wall,for the cat to climb on,and made a very crude dog house beside it.
    Im laughing pretty hard

Oh yeah, "primitive folk art". I forget where I was, it was either Kentucky or in the Carolinas, and I saw some stuff that looked like this priced at $100 or something ridiculous like that and all of these crummy folky fabrege eggs. I looked at the guy next to me and said "can you believe they want $100 for this?" and the guy said "Yes, that's my art".
    It's sufficiently stout..

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    Oh yeah, "primitive folk art". I forget where I was, it was either Kentucky or in the Carolinas, and I saw some stuff that looked like this priced at $100 or something ridiculous like that and all of these crummy folky fabrege eggs. I looked at the guy next to me and said "can you believe they want $100 for this?" and the guy said "Yes, that's my art".

Similar thing happened to me once at an antique store. Found a nice thumbhole D8 that someone had painted a horrid little barn scene on. Seriously terrible work. Other than that, it was nice. Pricetag said $25. Far more than I would normally spend for a saw, but I wanted to save it from this horrible fate of being "art". I said as much to the person ringing me up... who of course was the "artist" who had painted the saw. Fortunately, that store was really, really small and there wasn't much worth looking at anyway, so I haven't been compelled to return. Of course I scraped the paint off the saw, sharpened it, and its a fine worker.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I'm a big loudmouth...I've had a couple of these experiences. The best one was in an art store back home in Fresno. I walked in and everything was horrible. I picked up one "piece" that had a fish jumping out of a fish bowl and the title was "Jump for Joy"...the subject matter was ridiculous and the artwork itself was horrendous and it was like $200. I laughed out loud and looked at the hot chick next to me and said "can you believe this s**t?"

Yeah, she was the artist. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Similar thing happened to me once at an antique store. .
    It's sufficiently stout..