Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info. on this lathe please

Info. on this lathe please

Been in the market for a used lathe, this one has come up on an auction that is very close to me.
    The only details that are listed, General lathe, 12" throw, 4' table, 230 volts, in good working condition.
    It looks to be variable speed, other than that I'm not sure about any details.

Is this a good lathe?
    What would ge a good price on this lathe?

lathe.jpg
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Jeff, nice looking lathe. Those are real battle ships. Make sure it's for single phase power. I drove 2 hours in bad weather some years ago for some florescent lights that were a bargain, after getting 1/2 of them loaded in the dark, I took one apart and found it was marked 3 phase. That was a real lesson for me. So back off the truck they went and back home in the dark I went! Good luck of the bid.

Jeff- that's a General 160 with Reeves drive variable speed, but mine is about 20 yrs. old and 110v? The mechanical VS is noisy and not as smooth as an electronic VS, but it is very useable and could be easily converted to EVS if desired. The belts are easily replaced with link belts, and they do quiet down the drive somewhat. I have kept mine because it's the only longbed lathe I own, and I hate to lose old friends!

Jeff, the three bags of concrete are indicative of the fact that the lathe doesn't like unbalanced bowls. At least it is variable speed, so you can dial it down on the wobbly ones. Agreed that you should verify that it is single phase because it is either variable speed electronically (3 phase motor) and may or may not have a 3 phase converter on it (VFD or the likes), OR it uses a reeves drive. And from what I understand, some Reeves drives were made well, and others were made shoddy. I have a PM90, and understand those are some of the better ones. Sorry, I don't know much about General... I do see a problem with it, though. There seem to be a couple of red and white stickers on it...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I do see a problem with it, though. There seem to be a couple of red and white stickers on it...
    Thats what goo gone is made for.

The 3 phase doesnt bother me as I run a rpc for my saw and shaper. I'm a little concerned about the variable speed after the advice though. There is a viewing next week of the tools, I will have to take a drive and my camera to do a little more investigating.

Anyone have an idea of what I should pay???
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I believe this model is currently sold with an updated EVS but not sure, so you should be able to Google some info about current prices. It is a very well made machine, and this sample seems to be in very good condition. Price would also vary with accessories that come with it, such as the steady rest in the photo.

I did a little more research, found another photo and got a hold of the SN which is G2124, the model as Jamie pointed out is a 160. Here is a pic of the motor, maybe someone can tell me more from it?

lathe 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I did a little more research, found another photo
    Just a swag, but in that new picture, the speed control above the open door is HUGE, so I'd guess it's to change the reeves drive speed. An electronic speed control would likely be much smaller, IMHO.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

It is a reeves drive and that is a single phase motor judging from the capacitor on top.

Jeff, Reeves drives in and of themselves are not "bad". It is simply that there are moving parts. And they aren't as quiet as the new types of lathes. That said, a Reeves drive will keep its full torque all the way through from the slow speed to the fast speed because the motor is still spinning at full speed. When you have electronic speed control, you may/will lose torque as you slow the motor down. So, don't back out of this one yet.

Again, I know nothing about General. I know nothing about this particular lathe. I'm assuming it is a 12" lathe. (Not sure what you said in your OP.) At 12", it will likely be plenty stout, with plenty of torque. By the LOOKS (and I can only go by the looks) of it, I'm not convinced that I would make it a "project" lathe to add risers to give it a larger swing. It doesn't look as beefy as my PM90. So, not sure how it would handle it. I do know that Powermatic sold risers for my lathe, so I knew it could "handle" it.

As for a price...I could be way off, but for an auction, I would say $300-400 IF you don't have to do anything to it. 12" lathes are kinda a dime a dozen, in my opinion. And I have to reiterate that I don't know about General, so someone with better knowledge might pipe in and say NO WAY, it is worth twice that...or NO WAY, it isn't worth 1/2 that. But if I saw that on CL, I would expect to see $250-600 on it. Expectations are what they are...

Here is a CL ad for a 16" version of a General lathe. Again, I don't know if this guy is asking way too much, too little, or right on. http:/ /seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/2860526710.html
    Last edited by John Keeton; 02-23-2012 at 7:07 AM. Reason: To remove CL link
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for the great info guys, that is priceless to me. Mike I was hoping to get a nice lathe for $500.00 or less. BTW this is will be my first lathe, I've used a couple over the years, but never owned one. I'd just like a nice machine for the money.

You turners should pray to God that I dont get this lathe, you think I ask stupid questions in the general area..........you ain't seen nothing yet!

I will be the first to admit...I'm pretty new to turning. I know what I know about what I know (ugh) because I took the route of getting a "good enough for now" lathe, then getting the PM90, taking it apart, restoring it, pimping it out, and "some" turning. So, my advice is through my experience as a woodworker that has entered turning, not as an icon turner...
    I drink, therefore I am.

First off I payed $1022.00 for my General 160 in Feb 2000. The one Mike C. showed is a General International There made in China,the one you've pictured is a General made in Canada and a very good machine. They make a 18" also I sent to General and got the castings for the head,tail and banjo riser and made mine an18" lathe.I believe I paid $345.00 for the parts. They are a little top wobbly with out of balance logs but I've been making stuff for 12 years on mine and it's always stayed upright. I use my lathe at lest 3 or 4 times a week and the only thing I've changed is I put a 1HP DC Drive on it and kept the reeves drive. Mine came with a 1HP AC motor. Also I put a piece of 1/2 aluminum plate between the lathe and the stand to stiffen the stand top and it really help the out of balanced log wobble. Hope this helps.
    If you have any questions PM me and I'll try to help.
    Last edited by Harry Robinette; 02-22-2012 at 9:57 PM.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Just FYI, the one I linked to is in the D&D section of the Creek...

Thank you, Harry, for being a voice of experience with THESE particular lathes.
    I drink, therefore I am.

From the pic, it appears to be in fairly good shape, but notice that every exposed metal surface on this one is rusted. You'll be doing a lot of rust removal. Be certain that it is only surface rust, and that there is no pitting. Be sure you check the underside of the tailstock and banjo for rust, and that the quill in the tailstock will move freely, or you'll have nothing but frustration working with this one. I hate rust.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling