Thread: How about starting a separate sub-forum for "Tips and Tricks"?

Blog Entries

How about starting a separate sub-forum for "Tips and Tricks"?

How about starting a separate sub-forum for "Tips and Tricks"? You know, things too simple or mundane to warrant the full discussion in another sub forum? One that encourages pictures or sketches of little things that you just stumbled across that might help out a fellow woodworker? For example, I just realized today that my new woodworker vise is great for holding a drawer while installing drawer slides, or last year I bought rolls of PSA sandpaper at the auto store to refinish my jeep and I am still using the leftover rolls of 180 and 400 in the shop in so many ways. Or that jig I just made to help with lock miter joints on my router table. Just a thought.

Sounds like a good idea. Think the moderators should be the ones to move threads there. And do you actually move the threads or is there a way to make them appear both places without just duplicating them? I know it would drive me crazy to go back looking for something and it be missing (even more true if I had saved a link...). Maybe some kind of annotated index would be better. Maybe they could recruit a new volunteer to do that...

Ole,

Are you suggesting individual Tips and Tricks Forums for Turners, CNC Machines, Engravers, Neanderthal or one forum that covers everything?

Many people here only visit one forum and I don't think they would be happy sharing a forum with other disciplines. Heck a lot of people here won't visit the Classifieds or the Tech Support Forum to view announcements

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Ole,

Are you suggesting individual Tips and Tricks Forums for Turners, CNC Machines, Engravers, Neanderthal or one forum that covers everything?

Many people here only visit one forum and I don't think they would be happy sharing a forum with other disciplines. Heck a lot of people here won't visit the Classifieds or the Tech Support Forum to view announcements
    Keith,

In the back of my mind I was just thinking about just one spot under the Woodworking Topics sub-forum, as I only infrequently visit anything other than that, but as I look at the number online at any one time in the other forums I see your point. Maybe one each under each applicable sub forum group, a total of four? Or maybe just start in the most popular one and see where it goes.

Why not just have a sticky at the top of each forum? The Mod(s) can add tips/tricks as warranted.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    I would hope that eventually there will be hundreds of tips and tricks, stickies need to be few and far between IMHO. I am thinking that real simple things will pop up and not even need any discussion, things that most would feel are not worthy of starting a thread. Titling the tip will be critical, not just "Here's a neat trick". Maybe I misunderstood you Steve, do you mean one stickie that all of the tip and tricks are bundled under? I would see that many tips and tricks will generate some discussion, so it would be like one long never ending thread, and you would have to do a search to find something of value, rather than just scanning thread titles under a "tips and tricks" in a sub-forum.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-25-2012 at 3:49 PM.

Ole - my initial thoughts were to have one sticky at the top of a forum that contains links to the various Tips & Tricks threads. You are correct though - the title of a thread would make or break chances of anyone else finding it. Course, the link is the only actual thing that needs to be precise when it comes to wording.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I believe that this will be a big help , how soon will this happen