Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question About Bandsaw Setup

Get a deadblow hammer and 'persuade' the table
    back into alignment.

There's few parts that can woggle much
    on any bandsaw. My guess is that the table has been
    loosened and slid 'downward' under gravity.

If you give it a rap, and it moves - see above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    back into alignment.

There's few parts that can woggle much
    on any bandsaw. My guess is that the table has been
    loosened and slid 'downward' under gravity.

If you give it a rap, and it moves - see above.
    Do you read my post?
    It is not the table. The thrust bearings are independent of the table. The blade is too far to the right with the table removed.

That blade is not off center. The guide block is made to be adjusted for inaccuracies in manufacture.
    You will notice that the shaft that bearing on is hex. You can adjust where the blade touches the bearing by pulling that shaft out, turning it, and putting it back in.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    back into alignment.
    And if you break a trunion, or both, too bad?
    You do not take a hammer, or and sort, to the table. Loosen the trunions and move it by hand.

The problem with this thread is we have issues on 2 separate saws, instead of having 2 threads on 2 saws.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-21-2015 at 5:57 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You don't say what make/model your band saw is (I assume Delta, since the OP had a Delta). Anyway, from my limited experience, for most if not all Delta clone types, the shaft that the thrust bearing rides on is eccentric on the end of the shaft that mounts in the bracket (both upper and lower). That larger shaft can be either round or hexagonal in cross section, and can be rotated to adjust the location of the thrust bearing shaft.

Could the mounting shaft have rotated out of position in its bracket hole, such that the thrust bearing has moved laterally out of position relative to the blade? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by larry cronkite View Post
    I am having this same problem except the blade is riding so far to the right that it barely touches the upper thrust bearing and completely misses the lower thrust bearing.
    This seems to have happened suddenly as I had been cutting some dogwood burl.
    I have replaced the tires, blade and thrust bearings and no improvement.
    It is not the table because the thrust bearings are completely independent of the table.
    Louis of Iturra Design (the bandsaw experts) has no ideas for me.
    Anybody on the forum have any ideas?
    I've never heard of or seen anything like this, but given that it's further off on the bottom than it is on top, it suggests that something's gone wrong with the bottom wheel. What type of saw do you have? Are there co-planar adjustments on the bottom wheel? Can you post some pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I've never heard of or seen anything like this, but given that it's further off on the bottom than it is on top, it suggests that something's gone wrong with the bottom wheel. What type of saw do you have? Are there co-planar adjustments on the bottom wheel? Can you post some pictures?
    The wheels are coplaner.
    Attached are some photos with the table removed.
    The blade is tensioned.
    The saw is a Delta 28-276

Lower-thrust-bearing.jpg
    Lower thrust bearing ass'y

Upper-thrust-bearing.jpg
    Upper thrust bearing ass'y

Another-trunnion-assy-view.jpg
    View of trunnion ass'y

View-of-trunnion-assy.jpg
    Another trunnion ass'y view
    Last edited by larry cronkite; 03-22-2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added Saw model

I was actually hoping for some better pictures of that bottom wheel. IMHO, from what you're describing, something's gone wrong in the area of the bottom wheel. Even just looking at the 4th picture, it almost looks like the blade is wrapped around something it shouldn't be wrapped around. Maybe it's the funny camera angle, but if I draw a straight line down, it doesn't appear to come anywhere near the actual wheel. I'll bet you money if you just take your hand, and follow the band up from the bottom wheel to the trunnion, you're going to find your problem.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 03-22-2015 at 11:41 AM.

It's riding on the door clip.
    3/4" blade? 1/2" is really the max for these saws.