Thread: Ken Hill's White Oak Burl

Ken Hill's White Oak Burl

A few shots from the Ken Hill White Oak Burl-A-Rama.. My photography still stinks.. Help Ken!

IMG_3109.jpgIMG_3115.jpgIMG_3116.jpgIMG_3123.jpg

Cherry Crotch NE Bowl from Tony DeMasi

IMG_3121.jpg IMG_3119.jpg

Peter, looks you made good use of the burl! Nice assortment of pieces, and the cherry NE bowl certainly looks nice, as well.

Really nice burl pieces. I like that goblet.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Pretty cool 'rustic' creations! I really like the thin Cherry bowl! The color should look amazing in just a few years!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks.. I spent the day at Tony DeMasi shop last week with a chunck of burl Ken Hill gave me, we decided to split into 4 sections as it was one big tall cube. I still have 2 more sections to turn.

We were playing with some new tools Tony had, which was a first for me. The little vase could have been thinner but looking at it on the lathe, it was either stop or risk blowing the NE out.

I soaked the burl parts in Arm-r-seal to lock in the bark. Finished wiping down with the same. I soaked them a few times before deciding it was good to go.

NE Cherry bowl, I was pushing my skills to get thin. I am amazed what a sharp Thompson Bowl Gouge can do. This was cut from the crotch.

Best part was hanging out with Tony for the day.. 6hrs went so fast, it felt like 30mins!
    Last edited by Peter Elliott; 02-26-2012 at 2:29 PM.

all are very nice, glad you and Tony had a day

Rough and rugged fits the oak Peter and the thin cherry is just the opposite. Sounds like you had a great time!

I have to admit, when I got home and put a finish on the vessel it reminded me of my favorite summer time snack.
    Ice cream cone.jpg

Oh now that's just nice work Peter! Send me a cone when you're done!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Neat pieces, Peter, but I've already told you that in person...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Looks like you're having typical color balance problems in the images, especially if the camera is set to AUTO. The illumination appears to be mainly tungsten, and unless you manually set the camera color balance to match the source it will render color all over the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    Looks like you're having typical color balance problems in the images, especially if the camera is set to AUTO. The illumination appears to be mainly tungsten, and unless you manually set the camera color balance to match the source it will render color all over the map.
    You mean I have to be smarter than the camera? I thought AUTO was the only setting?

Hey at least someone has some time on the lathe! I still have a ton of cherry burls sitting here for the DAMP crew, I head out next week for my southern run so in a few weeks things will be somewhat back to normal. I did double my workload this year so I will gone an extra day but the wife and kids will be here if you need to pick some up. A feller gave me some old chestnut the other day....unless it is stabilized I would guess pen blanks is all that will be salvageable from it, but I will keep a chunk or two for you guys as well. I have over 100 bowl rough outs drying since New Years day but had to get back on firewood and fencing so I haven't had much free time to play on the net.....hope everyone is doing well & see ya soon!

Wow, that's awfully generous of you, Ken. We'll have to make sure we get together. 100 blanks...you've been busy!
    I drink, therefore I am.